Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Year in review part III

Well, you've already heard about the second half of my year, so I'll limit this two five big things (events or groups of people) that had a big influence on how it turned out.

1) The FOCUS missionaries. I knew that I'd be getting involved with whatever the Catholic community on campus was organising. Having Joey, John, Amanda and Katie here, though, has made a big difference to what goes on. I feel that they've really added to the spiritual and the social events that are available.

2) Summoning the courage to audition for 'The Mikado'. The musical has been a huge part of my semester, and I think the Gilbert and Sullivan players will continue to be, partly because

3) The general meeting happened to fall on my birthday. I went partly because Kelsey brought cake, and ended up on the executive committee. It suits me, because I do really enjoy musicals (when writing a one paragraph biography for a profile related to my physics tutoring job, the non-physics interest I mentioned was musicals, and that was when I tended to watch rather than participate), and I also think I'm reasonably well organised, a useful skill for the EC of the group.

4) A dream I had about getting sick of MIT, and visiting Cambridge (I mean, the one in England!) to see if I could do my PhD there. That was when I was least happy with things here. I wrote an earlier post, probably called 'Highs and lows', talking about ways in which MIT isn't perfect for me. At that point, though, I decided that I just needed to make sure I shaped it so that I got the most out of it that I could, and it has certainly worked. Interesting note: my mind pays attention to details even in dreams. While in England I thought 'oh, it feels funny that the cars drive on the left again'.

5) My officemates. I've really got to know them over this semester, and they've been great classmates and wonderful friends. Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. 6) Patrick. He's got great hair, a brain the size of a planet and advanced social skills. His superhuman ability to avoid sleep and always answer his phone mean that I know I can always get stuck in a long conversation about English football, songs I've never heard of and movies I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet I continue to call... (actually I don't, because my free trial has run out. Doesn't mean I can't call, but you might as well call me if it's equally convenient.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am a noted conversationalist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have now seen Avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The season three X Files episode?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I haven't seen that. I haven't seen any season three X Files episode, or any other season X File episode. I have seen an (if there are two, I think it was the first) X Files movie, with Lisa, who is a huge fan (when we threw her a surprise birthday party in 2007, the friend who was hosting it had invited her over for an X Files marathon).

    ReplyDelete
  7. X Files is/was my favourite show of the 90s. It is very good - I highly recommend getting it out on DVD one lonely cold winter aftenoon. The first film (1998) was called 'Fight The Future', the second '2009' was called 'I Want To Believe'. The first is significantly better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dorm has approximately 1000 DVDs, but no X Files of any kind.

    ReplyDelete