I was talking to John last night about some of the terms I use that go unrecognised or are considered strange here, and there were quite a few. I thought I'd list the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Fortnight = two weeks
This actually has implications, in that biweekly in Australia always means twice per week, because if we mean fortnightly, we say fortnightly. Also bimonthly is every two months, because twice a month is almost the same as fortnightly.
Frankfurt = hot dog
Hot dog = hot dog on a roll
Tomato sauce = ketchup (or catsup!)
Cheeseburger = cheeseburger, but with nothing else besides the meat and the cheese
Hamburger = hamburger plus any number of other ingredients, probably including cheese
Main course = entree
Entree = appetizer
Prawn = shrimp
Mince = ground beef
Jumper = sweater
Sloppy joe = like a jumper, but lower quality
We don't have the equivalent of the American sloppy joe: it's not something commonly eaten in Australia, and we'd just describe it as mince on a bun
Bun = roll
Shout = pay for, spot
SMS = text
Year 12 = twelfth grade
Primary school = elementary school
We also have different names for later parts of education. Primary school finishes with Year 6, and high school is from Year 7 to Year 12 (in the US generally fifth to eighth grades are middle school, and ninth to twelfth are high school). We never use the terms freshman (ninth grade, or first year at college) and sophomore (tenth grade, or second year at college), and junior (eleventh grade, or third year) and senior (twelfth grade, or fourth year) don't mean the same thing (in an Australian high school, junior refers to anyone in Years 7 to 9 and probably 10, while a senior is a Year 11 or 12, and occasionally 10, student). We also use the casual term "uni" to refer to a university: it fits in basically any context. The word "college" is rarer, and doesn't have a fixed meaning (it can have the same meanings it has in the US, except for the most common, most general meaning, of the entire institution or the experience of going there, which we would call "uni"). We don't refer to "uni" as "school", except accidentally during our first semester there!
Tutorial (tute for short) = recitation, discussion, section, etc.
Bill = check
Note = bill (cash)
One hundred and one = one hundred one
Maths = math
I'll try to add when I think of more.
When Ophelia first arrived at ANU, she had with her a book of "commonly used Australian terms" and their US translations. It was meant to be serious, but it was full of words no Australian ever uses, like 'drongo', '(in the) nick' and 'franger'.
ReplyDeleteI did have one person ask me if I was going to throw another barbie on the grill
ReplyDeleteA very irritating difference between America and Australia is beer ordering. You ask for a beer here and you get a beer. Ask for one in America and you get a light strength concoction involving artificial lime flavouring.
ReplyDeleteI probably wouldn't like that any less
ReplyDeleteBig News MP, Reading have knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup - and they did it an Anfield. The sun is shining bright today!
ReplyDeleteYou really do hold grudges, don't you?!
ReplyDeleteNot at all - I actually had lunch with Cameron this Sunday last. Afterall, holding a grudge is like drinking poison and hoping the other person gets sick.
ReplyDeleteThen why do you get so happy when Liverpool loses?
ReplyDeleteWe need a "like" function on here... jac
ReplyDeleteOK, I've set up a "like" function, although it only works for blog posts, not for comments.
ReplyDeleteThat's alright - I'll tell you which of my comments you like the most. The reason I like Liverpool losing is because their fans think that because they've won more trophies than all the other clubs, they therefore deserve to win them every year. Now that they've gone 20 years without a league title, it is almost starting to sink in that they don't have a God given right to the Championship, and that they actually have to win in order to receive recognition. As a fan of a team that experiences cyclical success, I accept that, as do the fans of all other clubs. Hopefully within the next 50 years, Liverpool will realise that too. And Cameron goes for them.
ReplyDeleteI guess I'm not the sort of person who can stay passionate for a club over such a long period of time. Now that I support the New England Patriots, for example, I'm not retrospectively sorry that they lost the 2008 Super Bowl, when I was cheering for the Giants.
ReplyDeleteYou do realise that people who follow team sports will generally want one of teams to lose just as much as they want their team to win. In league, I have two: Cronulla and Canterbury. I know this is the case in England, and I assume it is too in the US, especially with fans of the more established sides.
ReplyDeleteThat's certainly true in baseball (the Yankees). Not so sure about the NFL (at least for New England supporters). In college football, it's a bit unclear, because teams have strong rivals (eg. California-Stanford), but once it's bowl season, one wants one's conference teams to win to prove how strong the conference is, perhaps even including the primary rival.
ReplyDelete