Friday, January 22, 2010

Ups and downs

The nice part about today was talking to Evelyn about a spin counting question on a previous Part II exam. I've sometimes found bosons and fermions one of the more difficult parts of quantum mechanics, so I was glad to find I understood it pretty well. I hope it helped her as well.

The not so nice part was noticing a fundamental mistake in some work I did relating to the papers I've been writing, way back in March last year. It doesn't change the results I got - I just realised that the approximation I made is a slightly worse approximation than I thought. It's still good enough for the computational purposes (ie. what's in the paper I've already submitted), but the exact result I thought I had (and I would have liked to put in a new paper) is wrong. Talking to one of the second year students who happened to drop by, I realised I should have known it was coming out to nicely!

2 comments:

  1. I actually put my comment at the end of your previous post but it belongs here! Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm still very happy with the work represented in the paper I submitted, so it's ok.

    ReplyDelete