Lately I have had some relatively quiet time, but this week got a little busier, especially in the evenings.
On Monday evening I had coffee with John. It was nice to catch up: I hadn't seen him since 'The Mikado' struck. We chatted for quite a while about our holidays, the upcoming production, etc.
On Wednesday evening I went up to Harvard Square with Jimmy and David, to watch 'Avatar'. It was an enjoyable movie: the plot was interesting and the action entertaining. It certainly wasn't an original or groundbreaking story, but not all films have to be.
On Thursday evening I went with Matt to Pure in Heart, a Catholic youth group that meets at St Columbkille's. There were only around ten of us there, but it was a very nice group, and we had most pleasant conversation over pizza at the end of the night.
Early on Friday afternoon I went to a Gregorian chant lesson. The teacher tended to ramble a fair bit, but it was nice to have a brief introduction to that kind of singing. We spent a fair bit of time on Latin pronunciation, which isn't too difficult except for the letter R (I can't really roll my R's, which is roughly what it's meant to sound like).
Late in the afternoon Davis visited, with his roommate Henry who had an interview at an optometry school. I showed them a few of the MIT sights (our most and least impressive buildings), then we went up Mass Ave and had dinner at Shalimar Indian restaurant. It was great to catch up: they're both looking into grad schools (health sciences rather than PhD) at the moment.
Friday evening was a lighting workshop, organised by an MIT alumnus who is involved with the Gilbert and Sullivan players. This was the first session, and it focused on hardware. I'm not sure whether I'll ever be involved in the lighting side of theatre, but it is interesting to learn a little about it.
Sounds like a busy week, Matt. Dad and I went to see 'Bright Star' in Canberra last night (about John Keats and Fanny Brawn). I enjoyed it but Dad thought it was a little too long!
ReplyDeleteI got the pagination for my first magazine today - it's pretty exciting, maybe comparable to a first paper. I've settled on the title Contributing Editor. I don't know what it means, but I'm guessing none of the readers will either. Email me your mailing address and I'll send you a copy when it's printed. Also, I went back and visited my hometown on the weekend. It was a lot smaller than I remember.
ReplyDelete@Mum: Avatar could have been shorter, too. I thought it would have been braver to end about two thirds of the way through, at which point the 'bad guys' had won - I guess that would have laid the foundations for an Avatar II!
ReplyDelete@Patrick: Wikipedia says 'At smaller magazines the title may imply a staff member with regular writing responsibility and some editorial duties.'
@Matthew: Thanks for clearing that up - turns out it's possibly the most accurate title out there.
ReplyDelete@Matthew's Mum: I don't mind Jane Campion; her best is still An Angel At My Table.
I have seen none of her films.
ReplyDeleteThat surprises me less than Arsenal resigning Sol Campbell.
ReplyDeleteOh, you mean re-signing.
ReplyDeleteI'm just predicting the future will replicate the past.
ReplyDeleteIn some cases that's a very safe prediction. Rather like predicting the death of a famous person.
ReplyDeletePredicting Sol Campbell will walk out on Arsenal is like predicting the sun will come up tomorrow, tomorrow (I'm singing now...).
ReplyDeleteIt's funny that no-one seems to bother to predict that the sun will go down tomorrow...
ReplyDeleteWhat about the Arctic Monkeys in their UK #1 single 'When The Sun Goes Down'...
ReplyDeleteArctic monkeys (or people, or bears, or any other inhabitants) don't count, because it is rarer there
ReplyDelete