Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Smatthey's Saturday fun

I think I mentioned in an earlier post how much fun I had spending time with friends and playing games over the Christmas season. I decided that fun should continue, so I'm making an effort to invite people over quite frequently for dinner, games, movies, etc. Saturday was the first installment: four friends from church and the office came to eat fish, play Clue (Cluedo, for my Australian audience) and watch 'Children of Men'. We had a great time, and I plan to have these events as often as people are willing to come!

I'm afraid there's not really much news to report: events like this are so enjoyable for those who attend, and so boring to recount to others. In the absence of real news, I guess I'll try to draw a conclusion. It wasn't just a vague feeling that made me want to have games nights: I really felt they were missing. There's something almost unique (Bede may laugh at me for putting a modifier on the word 'unique', but I think the word can cope with this one) about games nights for bringing a group of people together. Games really do something to promote group spirit, and they allow as much conversation as is desired, while people always feel like they're together: sometimes if only conversation is going on, some people can feel more involved than others.

I think the one thing that can match it is the feel of a close-knit dorm group. At Fenner, we were all at home, so we belonged in the kitchenette, whether we were actively chatting, eating, watching TV, reading the paper, or whatever. That feeling of being completely together is wonderful among a group of friends, and I look forward to many pleasant evenings this coming semester (or nine!).

26 comments:

  1. Here is your sciency clue:

    David scores 4, 6, 19, 1 and 95 goals per table (7)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one was easier, at least for me. I'll leave it in case someone else wants to do it as well. There's one particular friend who I think might appreciate it (he's English, studying in Los Angeles, although he's on exchange in Milan at the moment).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are of superior intelligence: in both science and the other pursuit especially. How about:

    Calcium sulfate and casein coagulation are different (5,3,6)

    If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you don't see the time I see them, so you have to trust me when I say that one was quicker still. And I did it without the benefit of, for instance, a blackboard where I could write letters and move them around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was never a need to move letters around: I dismiss anagram clues as weak, and lacking the necessary wit to stir my brain the size of a planet. How about:

    Night is important but unnoticed (4,6)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that playing games with friends (and relatives) is a wonderful way to promote community. We certainly enjoyed our evening with Clare and family. My friend Deborah (see her Hashiworks blog) had Sunday dinners during the warmer months to bring people together. I like the way you are proactive in working towards a postive environment. Thanks for your long personal email too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, moving here is certainly showing me the importance of being proactive. It's not that I can't get by without being proactive, but the opposite: I could survive without being proactive, but it would not be so enjoyable, so I need to proactively be proactive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My best thought at the moment would fit better to

    Night is crucial but unnoticed (4,5)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The second word is definitely six letters (I just counted the letters on my fingers). Have a look at this morning's scoring analysis at soccernet.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was thrilling stuff. Down 0-2 I would have settled for staying in touching distance, so to complete the full comeback and move top is very satisfying. I'm going to celebrate my cruising around Sydney Harbour on a SuperMaxi yacht wearing my Arsenal cap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer the American system, which would still have Chelsea first.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Using percentages? Nah - this is better because it puts pressure on teams to win their games in hand. And it also makes me feel good. Did you know, 53 days ago, Arsenal were 11 points behind Chelsea. I'm glad it was Asharvin who scored the goal to take us first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. DARK MATTER isn't really unnoticed: that's the point! Unseen would be a better description.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so picky - I was relying on Wikipedia for the definitions. Here is one I came up with last night. It's not sciency per se, but it will require a higher level of intelligence to solve.

    January 2000? (9) or (3-6), depending on local custom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does the clue end at the question mark?

    ReplyDelete
  17. The question mark is part of the clue. In cryptics, queston and exclamation marks denote plays on words. Question marks mean they are particularly subtls, exclamation marks means it a more blunt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Y2K BUGGED basically fits, but it feels far too boring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think it basically fits, and I know it's not right. In a two word cryptic clue, traditionally both words are synonyms for the answer, so LEFT WINE makes PORT. The question mark here indicates that one or both of the two words will involve wordplay, rather than being a straight synonym. Also, the two different letter combinations are important, especially the 3-6.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't improve on TWO HEADED.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I get the 2000 part (2 is the head), but what's the January reference? Head of the year maybe? Do you want to know the answer? Or a further clue?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Treating it as the adjectival form of Janus rather than the name of the month. I know Janus was two faced rather than two headed, which is why I wasn't happy with it. I think a further clue would be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is very creative! I promise you the answer is nowhere near as brainy. The answer takes the following form: ***-^^##^^, with the asterisks referring to the hashes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Actually, I think MIDSUMMER is much brainier. Obviously I thought of it long ago, but dismissed it because until coming back to your second hint today, I didn't realise how the 2000 fit (and yes, I thought of MM long ago, but the pieces didn't fit together until the flash of inspiration hit me). A very good clue. It was difficult because MID wasn't given anywhere in the clue, but it gave immense satisfaction when I solved it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Matthew - and I'm glad you solved it, rather than having the answer spoon fed. As per cryptic clues, mid doesn't need to be in the clue, as it's in the answer. Much like when GEL CAUSES LIMP MIX-UP can be BROKEN LEG, because GEL is LEG broken. I'm glad that I furnish you with the tools to immense satisfaction. If you check the fixtures list, you'll know when to next get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OK. I usually hang around after Mass to chat with friends over doughnuts, so I'll probably call around half an hour in.

    ReplyDelete