Yesterday I joined NaYoung and Andre for the University of Chicago Symphony Orchestra concert. The concert title was Viva l'Italia: it featured works inspired by Northern European composers' travels to Italy.
It was interesting seeing a different orchestra from the one I've attended several times recently. Different orchestras really do have different personalities. I was amused that UCSO plays the tuning note four times, when the guest conductor greeted the concertmaster with a fist bump instead of a handshake, and by Opus the toy penguin, their mascot.
I really enjoyed the music; I don't know the pieces well enough to really comment on the orchestra. Perhaps they were hesitant at the very beginning of pieces (always a tricky spot), and the tone of the brass didn't necessarily blend quite well enough in some sections, but other than that they might as well have been the CSO to me.
There was a little reception after the concert, so we ate free food (NaYoung and I both like to pretend we're still grad students), chatted and congratulated our friend Andrew on the enjoyable performance.
Tonight, it's off to see Alyssa and her lawyer friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment