I celebrated Easter with Calvert House, the UC Catholic community.
We held our services in Bond Chapel, the chapel of the UC divinity school. It's substantially bigger (and more church-shaped) than the Calvert House chapel. At the end of Holy Thursday Mass, we processed with the Blessed Sacrament across the quadrangle to the Calvert chapel, where the altar was set up as an Altar of Repose. It was late at night, so there weren't many people around, but I do always notice during Eucharistic processions how rarely the ritual side of Catholicism intersects with most non-Catholics' ordinary lives. Some of our Church's moral teachings receive discussion in the public square, but rarely what we are doing when we worship and why.
A moment that really struck me during the Triduum was the priests' prostration on Good Friday. One of the ideas that has come up regarding the events of Easter is the grief and fear felt by those who were there, but we're in a different situation: we have hope for Easter. So the posture speaks to me not of mourning, but of a recognition of the immensity of God the Son's action in taking on the ultimate suffering of a human.
The Easter Vigil is a busy service for singers: eight psalms and much more (though unfortunately no bells during the Gloria here). I did find that used much of my attention, especially for my first time celebrating Easter in a new place with new people. Fortunately we have fifty more days to contemplate the Resurrection. After Mass, we shared some supper back at Calvert House: people seemed relieved to have finished Lent!
The weather on Easter Sunday was very fitting: warm (by the standards to which we have become accustomed: 19 Celsius) and gloriously sunny. Bond Chapel was packed (I think a couple of people sat in the choir loft), including a few young families. There was a small reception afterwards but I headed of to an Easter Lunch hosted by Noelle and Alice. There's a real feeling of community among the Catholic grad students: people obviously really enjoy spending time with each other, and take advantage of frequent opportunities to do so. The food was spectacular as well, and I went home in the evening rather stuffed (and carrying a bag containing supplies for further stuffing this week!).
(Note: unlike the photo a couple of posts ago, I didn't prepare any of this food: my contribution of an Easter tradition was a National Folk Festival playlist)
I have said this before, but I think it's worth repeating how I feel that I am in exactly the right place, where and among those with whom I belong. I'll certainly find it easy to celebrate the Easter season with joy.

We read of your experiences and emotions with great joy, Matt.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm able to tell you how happy my life in Chicago is.
ReplyDelete