Monday, May 4, 2015

Something Wonderful

(My life is full of wonderful things; the title of this post is the title of the show it describes)

My friend Alyssa is a violinist and a law student, and plays with the Chicago Bar Association Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra had a concert on Sunday, and she invited the friends who sometimes go together to see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra perform in the same hall.

The concert was a selection of many Rodgers and Hammerstein pieces. There was a little orchestral music at the beginning of each half of the program, but it was mostly vocal music: the bar association as a chorus as well, and they joined with the Elgin Master Chorale (Elgin is a city a little west of Chicago). There were also four soloists, winners of The American Prize Chicago Musical Theater Award.

Actually, I thought it was very soloist-focused for a concert put on by a community orchestra. I would have liked to hear the orchestra featured more. The soloists were very strong, especially tenor Justin John Moniz. I didn't notice the orchestra so much most of the time, which is a good thing, because often when the accompaniment is noticed it's for the wrong reasons!

It was certainly a concert full of joy. Not all R&H music is happy, but most of it is, and it does have a strong optimism. And the performers obviously enjoyed the opportunity to play in Symphony Center, and their happiness was contagious. I hope I'll be able to see the orchestra again.


2 comments:

  1. A concert that befits the Easter Season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. And it is nice to celebrate Easter in a hemisphere where it is associated with flowers and warming weather!

    ReplyDelete