Monday, March 30, 2015

Spring break?

It is spring break for students, but for the first spring since 1991, I am not a student. Yet my week has been fun.

On Wednesday I went to dinner at Embeya restaurant, with the week's Computations in Science seminar speaker. The restaurant calls itself Asian progressive, and there's a distinct focus on seafood on the menu. It was a more "modern" meal than I usually eat (I don't usually include foam of any kind in my main courses), and very enjoyable. It was also nice to spend time with a few University of Chicago physicists (one professor, me and two grad students): people here really seem happy.

On Thursday I went to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra concert. To be honest, it was my least favourite of the three I've seen here. My favourite piece was (uncharacteristically) the newest: a nocturne (though louder than I would expect a nocturne to be) by Michael Ippolito. There was nothing wrong with the Mozart piano concerto or Brahms symphony that followed, but I found them a little boring.

Friday was the most fun of all. I invited friends from church to come to my place for dinner, since there was neither a games night nor a grad dinner last week. In the end, there were six of us in total. I cooked baked tilapia with lemon-ginger sauce, sauteed Brussels sprouts with eggplant and thyme, and mushroom and red pepper... well, it was meant to be pilaf but ended up being more like risotto. I have recently purchased a few little bits of furniture (a rug for the living room, coffee tables and lamps), and the place really did feel like a home. I will pass on some photos when I get them from Guillermina. We chatted long into the night: it's nice to have such wonderful friends.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos Matt. Can't wait for you to cook for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll only have one relaxed evening together in Chicago, so we'd better make it count!

    ReplyDelete