I've had three rehearsals for The Mikado this week. I believe we're trying to learn the songs as quickly as possible, so we can get stuck into the dramatic aspect. Monday was the sing-through, where I was reminded of the story of the Mikado, which I have only seen once, on video many years ago (probably something like 15).
On Tuesday the chorus of noblemen met. We open the performance (rather like the pirates in Pirates of Penzance, the other G&S with which I've been involved), and the rehearsal was our early music, which is really the main time we are on stage (we return for the finale for each act, as well as to introduce the Mikado when he appears halfway through Act II). On Thursday a couple of the leads joined us, but to go over some of the same material.
Like last time I sang in a choir, I'm enjoying having a bass part. I do find this bass part a little high: it hits E flat on several occasions, and that's about the highest I can properly sing. It also goes down to low E, which is really quite low but I find that easier as long as I can hear the note at the same time.
I'm impressed at the speed people can get into harmony, especially the bass line. I always used to have trouble recognising the bass in aural tests during my music exams. Now that I can see it written I find it much easier, but I'm still a touch uncertain when all the other parts are going over the top.
I believe rehearsals will keep me busy throughout the semester. I'll keep you updated from time to time.
No comments:
Post a Comment