Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fun times

This weekend's already been good, and I'm going hiking in New Hampshire tomorrow.

Yesterday evening I went to Outbreak, the launch of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students' MIT mission. The aim of FOCUS is to equip students to spread the gospel in whatever ways they can. I guess the 'take home message' was to entrust God with the direction of your life: useful advice because it is easy to feel directionless when beginning a new phase like college (/grad school).

We continued the festivities with a very enjoyable game of Apples to Apples. Although I didn't remember it until after the game started, I have played the game once before, on Saturday 10 November 2007 (that one was memory, not working it out) - also with a Catholic group of friends, as it happens. It's perhaps the game that (on average) I've had the most fun playing: it's a very clever, simple game and it seems to have really suited the group of people with whom I was playing each time.

Lisa will be happy to know that some of us then adjourned to Sidney Pacific to watch 'Shaun of the Dead'. It was amusing - it's funny how desensitising making zombies funny can be. I have been told that 'Hot Fuzz' is also funny in a similar style.

Today I volunteered for Graduate Student Volunteer Day. This is a day when graduate students take part in all sorts of community projects. I mean all sorts: I ended up making DNA models out of Lego. Quite a large group was there, and together we handled something like 60 thousand pieces of Lego in the morning's work.

After a 4pm vigil Mass at St Francis' in the Prudential Centre (yes, it's the earliest Mass around, because I'll be busy at the normal Mass times this weekend) I went out to dinner with my floor. We went to Asmara Eritrean restaurant and had a lovely meal. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the Central Square area. I'd particularly recommend it to Australian visitors, who are used to the slightly higher prices: it was $18 per head before numerous adjustments.

I also have some news from the Gilbert and Sullivan Players: I have been cast as a nobleman. So I have a substantial activity to keep me occupied this semester when I'm not studying!

1 comment:

  1. I am very close to buying my first race horse. I'm going to call it Misplaced Trust, which has always been my dream horse name, though it does mean I'll probably never hear "...and Misplaced Trust wins the Melbourne Cup". Another name I like for a horse is My Czech Mate.

    ReplyDelete