Thursday, September 10, 2009

Long weekend



On Sunday morning I went to Mass at the MIT chapel. It was the first weekend of the regular schedule, which includes three Sunday Masses. I think the quality of the singing decreased marginally as a result.
On arriving home I discovered that my computer had arrived. I spent part of the rest of the day setting it up. Having it will make it easier for me to update this blog frequently and also to reply to emails, so get writing! It also allows me to upload picture like this from my phone: I think I need to keep working on the picture quality! As you should have guessed, that is my bedroom.

Lunch was a Tech Catholic Community welcome barbecue. A barbecue isn't necessarily sausages around here. A New England barbecue means hamburgers and hot dogs, while those from the south think it isn't a real barbecue unless it has ribs. This one was indeed 'Texas approved' - CJ who was publicising it made a big deal of the ribs.

I actually cooked my own dinner for the first time in a week and a half: a grilled mini meat loaf (from the recipe book I mentioned earlier). I actually found it a bit bland, so I won't be cooking it again.
In the evening I went out again with the SPICE group. I've included a photo provided by one of the others who was there (sorry about Blogger's habit of putting the photos in reverse order). There was quite a large selection of ice cream, some of which (such as the avocado or sundried tomato) would have pleased the cheese ice cream vendor we met in Izamal.
Monday was generally a quiet day. I spent some time sorting through a couple of hundred emails. I also went to the American culture festival, to enjoy more American food (grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, mashed potato, brownies, apple pie, coke...) and music.
In the evening I went to Ashdown's dessert night. There were some delicious dessert: baklava, pastries, cakes, jelly, chocolate fountain... It was also good to say hi to some other physics students on our last official holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment