You would be forgiven for thinking that life in Massachusetts is nothing but snow, storms and snowstorms, and yet another of the latter struck last weekend.
I first heard that it was coming on Wednesday, when the Iolanthe audition panel was discussing plans for the weekend. I went home and did some searching online, and the forecast was that it would be very big. I hastily rescheduled our Saturday evening choir practice (for a wedding on Sunday morning) to Thursday evening, but otherwise Thursday went as usual. I did give a talk at group meeting, and was happy with that, but the weather was irrelevant!
On Thursday evening, MIT announced that the campus would be closed on Friday, so I spent the day at home. I spent time working, eating leftover food from Jordan's Super Bowl party, relaxing, and watching TV coverage of the storm. It began snowing early, and got heavier very slowly.
Most of the news was about plans made in the face of the storm: people were asked to stay home, it was recommended that people not attempt to drive after noon, the public transport system stopped running at 3:30pm, and after 4pm driving was illegal.
I did what was recommended and stayed inside all day, and my day wasn't affected very much. The next day, snow lay thick on the ground outside (and thin on the road), and I continued in the same vein. I did venture into the street to photograph the snow, and watch the children tobogganing down the street.
On Sunday, I headed out early to go to a wedding at which I had been asked to play piano. It was to take place in the MIT Chapel, but the chapel was closed due to the snow. Late the previous evening, the bride sent out an email asking that we all meet at the chapel at 7am (the scheduled time of the wedding), and walk together to another church they had arranged. We tramped through the snow in a big long line: someone took a photo of us crossing Harvard Bridge, which must have looked impressive.
The wedding was extremely simple, faithful to the character of the couple. They didn't wear fancy clothes, just what they would normally wear to Mass, and sat in the front pew. The vows in a Catholic wedding service are simple but profound, and I think I noticed the groom crying a little during his vows and the bride, during the Nuptial Blessing. I was glad to be able to share it with them.



Great to catch up with your blog. What an interesting wedding day!
ReplyDeleteIt's lucky the bride wasn't wearing white, or we might have had trouble finding her...
ReplyDelete