Monday, March 11, 2013

Bon voyage, Jordan

On Friday, Jordan left Boston headed for China, to visit Su-Yee. She is there on a Fulbright scholarship, spending over a year studying Chinese literature and mythology.

On Thursday, some of Jordan's friends gathered for a farewell party. We began at Lord Hobo, a pub in Cambridge that I last visited for Patrick's birthday more than two years ago (the occasion of my now famous biennial beer). We had some drinks (I didn't buy Jordan's argument that since his birthday falls during his time away, this was also a birthday party and hence eligible for the aforementioned beer) and dinner: I ate gnocchi with beef heart and wondered why I don't cook gnocchi more frequently (from the supermarket, I mean: a friend once promised to teach me how to make gnocchi but I never got around to taking her up on that offer).

We left Lord Hobo and headed home, singing and dancing on the way (well, some members of the group were singing and dancing). We took a shortcut across Ahern field, pausing briefly for a snowball fight and then to play on the snowy playground (the challenge was to get up the slide).

We eventually arrived home, where we played 'Bang', a game that sits on our shelf, frequently neglected because it requires a large group (we were a group of eight). The outlaw team of Patrick, Ben and me managed to win while maintaining a full strength team (I didn't even get to use my special ability, which was to draw a card every time I was hit, because I was never hit).

We then decided to eat cheese, because there was cheese in the fridge with a label instructing us to "Eat meeeee!!". We didn't have crackers, so Jordan made some while we played Super Smash Bros. The crackers turned out very well. By this time, it was very late, so I went to bed and didn't waken early enough to see Jordan off in the morning.

Now you know what the residents of PPP Junction do for an evening of fun!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun in snowy Cambridge. How long is Jordan away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He returns on 1 April.

    ReplyDelete