Monday, March 25, 2013

Returning Heroes Ball

Last weekend, I went with Kelsey to the Returning Heroes Ball. This was an 1860s themed event, with period attire and dancing.

Kelsey loves her clothing: she has designed most of the costumes for MITGSP during my involvement and made a large fraction of them. This time she took the opportunity to show off a dress she made for herself. I, on the other hand, enjoy wearing what other people tell me to wear, so Kelsey helped me find some suitable clothes to borrow from MITGSP.

We drove out to Holliston, and on seeing a man dressed in what was possibly Union army uniform, knew we were at the right place. The ball was lots of fun. There were approximately 60 people dancing at any given time, which was the perfect crowd for the venue. It was reasonably easy to learn the taught dances: the Virginia Reel was my favourite. The couple dances (waltz, polka) I found a little trickier, possibly due to my tendency to take too large steps! The only objection I have to the dances was that they didn't go on long enough. Dancing started just a little after 8, and finished at 11, with a very generous intermission to eat yummy refreshments. Throw in the time it takes to teach dances, and we got to dance less than I would have liked, especially the group dances (which were not so perspiration-inducing).


After such an enjoyable evening, I hope I get the chance to do something similar again before too long!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Matthew. Unfortunately we have had no chance to dance at the National Folk Festival with Dad working 15 hour days - apart from this morning when we caught up with JJ and Vik in Canberra for the Easter weekend. Happy Easter to you and Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope sure you're still making sure you do get a chance to dance together sometimes!

    ReplyDelete