Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Christ is risen!

We're 15% of the way through Easter, so I thought I'd share just a couple of my Triduum experiences.

Fr Clancy's homily on Holy Thursday was one of his best (despite his complete lack of understanding of tae kwon do). He began a little story by saying something like "sometimes I don't know when to keep quiet, and sometimes that gets me into trouble", which got much laughter from the congregation. He then told us about a time he was listening to a presentation about evangelisation initiatives based on 21st century technology. He could only listen for so long before getting fed up because the presenter was missing the point. As Fr Clancy said, the young people he knows are not looking for virtual relationships, are not looking for a virtual Christ. They (we) want a real relationship with Jesus and one another. Sure, we're very comfortable using technology, but our lives and our longings remain in the real world. I think Fr Clancy shares with young people an understanding that those whose experience of technology is as immigrants (to use Marc Prensky's terminology) might lack.

Another highlight of the Triduum was singing the Exultet at the Easter Vigil. It's meant to be sung by an ordained minister, but neither Deacon Augustine nor Fr Clancy would really be comfortable singing it, so it's been sung by someone from the choir for the last several years (i.e. the extent of my knowledge). It was difficult at first, but after fervent prayer and a large transposition down, I was actually very happy with how I did. I did notice that the smoke from the candle and the incense got in my eyes and nose, but it was only the smallest bit offputting.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Matt. I really enjoyed attending the ceremonies with Nanna this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did miss being able to celebrate with family, especially since Patrick's parents and sister were here for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete