Monday, April 22, 2013

A dramatic week

As I think the whole world knows by now, two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon on Monday. I was at home (it was a public holiday), so I stayed put while I followed what was happening on TV and online.

I thought it might be some time before progress was made in the case, but on Thursday evening we received messages from MIT about a shooter on campus. I was just finishing talking with family, so they knew I was safe and at home. Fortunately Patrick and Jordan were also home: Patrick is usually on campus at that hour, but it was games night. We finished our game and once again started following events online.

By the end of the night, we learned that an MIT policeman had been killed, and the two suspects being followed in that case were the two bombing suspects. One of them had been killed, and police believed they had the other surrounded.

On Friday morning, I woke to news that police requested people stay inside their homes, so the three of us did that. We followed the news for a while, but eventually we needed a break, so it was time for another game. As we were finishing around 6pm, we heard that police had thoroughly searched the entire area inside their perimeter without finding the second suspect, and asked people to go back to their normal lives while remaining vigilant.

Just a few minutes later, the search was back on in full scale, as one person just outside the perimeter had spotted the suspect in a boat once he ventured outside. It took a few hours, but he was eventually arrested.

It's very nice to feel safe to get out and about again. There are five people dead (three in the bombing, the MIT policeman and one of the suspects) and about two hundred injured, so obviously everything has changed for these people and their families, but the rest of us can resume normal life.

Comment if you have any questions about the week.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Matt. Games Night is wonderful institution. We are so glad that you and your housemates are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday evening I went to a memorial performance of Brahms' Requiem in honour of the victims. The ensemble (which included members from 30 local choirs) sounded wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Game - another great film by David Fincher, director of The Social Network.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to watch The Social Network to know whether that is a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete