
In the last couple of days, the northeastern US has received snowfalls large enough that they may even have made the news in Australia (although I haven't received any enquiries from you, so I guess not). New England actually seems to have been spared: the falls were centred around Washington and Philadelphia, and spread up to New York or so. Overnight, the storm moved north to us, but had obviously tempered.
I think we had a little over 10 centimetres of snow, beginning while I was asleep and continuing until around 2:30 pm. It's interesting looking out my window at the snow falling. For some reason, it mostly seems to fall up! Perhaps that's just because of the shape of the building, or some optical illusion, but I guess it's also because snow is so much lighter than rain.
I went out in the snow this evening to go to Mass at Harvard (the MIT chapel has closed down for Christmas, and while Harvard is not the second closest church, I do like to be part of a student community). It was my first experience of "snowy" snow (I've seen "melty" and "icy" snow a few times each: I'm sure you can imagine the contrast I'm making). The first thing I noticed was that it didn't feel wet! I didn't actually touch it, but it didn't feel wet underfoot. I'm sure that would have changed had I got more than a few snowflakes in my shoes (I wasn't wearing snow boots, but my leather shoes are nice and sturdy).
It wasn't too cold, either: minus four degrees, and little wind (last week I walked in the same direction when it was minus eight with 50 km/h winds, and that was cold). I had a rather pleasant walk up to Harvard.
I had allowed far more time than I needed (in case slippery snow slowed me to a snail's pace; in fact I think it didn't slow me much), so I wandered around Harvard for a while. I took a couple of photos: I've attached the better. The earlier one was slightly washed out, because the snow was so white. Sunset helped the second.
While walking around, I felt that it was time for the orchestra to begin playing, because I associate snow with ballet performances (I haven't been to many ballet performances: just Swan Lake, which wasn't even ballet, Nutcracker, and Giselle, but that has been enough to associate them with snow).
The weather should start to warm up on Wednesday, reaching four degrees on Friday). Precipitation is expected on Friday, and if it is indeed a little warmer, it is likely to be rain and spoil the chance of a white Christmas.
Speaking of spoiling Christmas, Rage Against The Machine have stormed past all the festive songs to steal the UK Christmas #1 single. I would have thought Killing in the Name was more of an Easter song...
ReplyDeleteGiven recent history, I'd say it's an improvement.
ReplyDeleteIt is a great song...just saw the snow in Washington on Nine news. Also, I have achieved the dream of all aspirational white men: I'm editing my own magazine.
ReplyDeleteYou know, editing a magazine (well, journal) is a possible job for me as well. I wouldn't say it's likely, but it's a realistic option.
ReplyDeleteMatthew
ReplyDeleteDavid and Louise sent us a link to your blog. We're glad you have good dry snow - a lot of fun and so much better than mush or hard packed ice!
We found your comments on studying abroad interesting - paralleling our times in Fiji, Solomon Islands and Canada. The different cultures sometimes grate, so we learnt a lot from our experiences and feel greatly enriched by leaving Australia.
Your 'Mikado' production looks well done and a lot of fun. A very good way to make contact in a new setting. Love the shaven head.
Perhaps you may have heard that we've moved to be nearer Kara, Chad, Claire and Emily: address is
18 Christina Ryan Way
Arundel. Qld 4214.
tel 07 5571 6630
email johnandsharonp@gmail.com.
Trust you will have a very special Christmas.
John and Sharon Pinson
Thanks for getting in touch!
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is interesting to live and study in another culture, although as cultural transitions go, I'd call the Australia-US one very mild!
The Mikado certainly was lots of fun, and I'll be staying heavily involved with the group: I'm becoming quite a G&S geek!