In honour of Patrick's recent comment, I would like to begin a game with my readers. Here is a board:
Scoring is based on the following values:
A 1; B 3; C 3; D 2; E 1; F 4; G 2; H 4; I 1; J 8; K 5; L 1; M 3; N 1; O 1; P 3; Q 10; R 1; S 1; T 1; U 1; V 4; W 4; X 8; Y 4; Z 10.
A light blue space doubles the score of the letter placed on it (but only on the turn on which it is placed), dark blue triples it, pink doubles the whole word score, red triples it.
To place a word, post it, with enough information to allow me to easily work out where you want to put it, and the score it earns, as a comment. Multiple suggestions are allowed: I will use the highest scoring suggestion.
I'll update the board as we go, and keep track of scores below.
My "up" scores 8.
Patrick's "frolic" scores 20.
8 points for "aura" takes me to 16.
Patrick scores 20 for "nail", taking my readers to 40.
75 points for "patents" takes me to 91.
Patrick scores 52 for "ox", taking my readers to 92.
72 points for "dribbles" takes me to 163.
Patrick scores 32 for "fink", taking my readers to 124.
30 points for "meek" takes me to 193.
Patrick scores 19 for "hovel", taking my readers to 143.
33 points for "slow" takes me to 226.
Patrick scores 36 for "hoodie", taking my readers to 179.
12 points for "end" takes me to 238.
Patrick scores 16 for "cobb", taking my readers to 195.
26 points for "any" takes me to 264.
Patrick scores 16 for "audits", taking my readers to 201.
14 points for "radio" takes me to 278.
Patrick scores 34 for "quash", taking my readers to 235.
8 points for "green" takes me to 286.
Patrick scores 22 for "jug", taking my readers to 257.
11 points for "veto" takes me to 297.
John scores 24 for "vend", taking my readers to 281.
12 points for "owe" takes me to 309.
John scores 28 for "ditzy", taking my readers to 309.
26 points for "betters" takes me to 335.
By consensus, my readers play "gram", scoring 14 points and taking them to 323.
4 points for "ti" takes me to 339.
Patrick scores 10 for "rex", taking my readers to 333 and finishing the game.
I lose 1 for my I, taking me to 338.
My readers gain 1, taking them to 334, so I win by 4 points.
Well played!

Let's do it. I play Godlike. That scores 13 plus the 50 point bonus for 63.
ReplyDeleteYou're getting some very good letters here Matthew. I'm getting a lot of Os.
ReplyDeleteYou have probably guessed that my readers have been submitting their words by email, and you will have noticed that Patrick has had the highest scoring suggestion each time (usually uncontested).
ReplyDeleteHis current word is "cobb", making use of the B in "dribbles" to score 16 points.
However, Patrick, this is insufficient information to establish where you intend to place your word, due to the double B in "cobb".
I want the C on the Triple Letter score.
ReplyDeletethank ford someone else started playing: now it's all his fault if i lose.
ReplyDeleteI blame John for our defeat. Can we do this again Smatthey?
ReplyDelete