Monday, August 8, 2011

Another game

I enjoyed the last game so much, I'm beginning another.  Since the last game turned into Smatthey vs Patrick for most of it, I'm setting this one up as Smatthey vs Patrick vs the world.  I know Patrick prefers two player games, so the top two from this game will face off once we finish.  Let me know if you want to sign up for the world team (if you were part of the last game, you're automatically on the list).  I determined playing order randomly, getting me first, Patrick second and the world third (yes, in the last game I took the first turn by fiat).

It is currently Patrick's turn.

Matthew: qi, 22.
Patrick: quake, 19.
John for the world: tinkle,  20.
Matthew: wood, 32 gives 54.
Patrick: toured, 23 gives 42.
John for the world: zoo, 22 gives 42.
Matthew: batch, 28 gives 82.
Patrick: clan, 18 gives 60.
John for the world: feet, 11 gives 53.
Matthew: slew, 30 gives 112.
Patrick: pier, 7 gives 67.
John for the world: bump, 16 gives 69.
Matthew: urge, 14 gives 126.
Patrick: rain, 8 gives 75.
John for the world: snog, 9 gives 78.
Matthew: (play challenged) 126.
Patrick: fox, 36 gives 111.
John for the world: hey,  14 gives 92.
Matthew: git, 13 gives 139.
Patrick: heir, 13 gives 124.
John for the world: wen, 16 gives 108.
Matthew: ivy, 25 gives 164.
Patrick: jot, 22 gives 146.
John for the world: byre, 9 gives 117.
Matthew: nadirs, 27 gives 191.
Patrick: vamper, 42 gives 188.
John for the world: slam, 12 gives 129.

This is where I discovered that I need to memorise the two letter words!  I have the seven letter word "gel_ted" on my rack.  I attempted to play it at the bottom of the board, hoping that "ve" is a word.  I didn't actually believe this to be the case, but I was unsure and decided the high score available was sufficient that it was worth an attempt (and the cost of revealing my hand to my opponents).  Since the play, if successful, would end the game, I assumed that my opponents would challenge the play, since they could only gain by doing so.  Indeed, although "gelated" and "ad" are both words, "ve" is not.

So I've ignored that play, and it is now Patrick's turn.

Patrick: on, 35 gives 223.
John for the world: win, 7 gives 136.
Matthew: tangled, 24 gives 215.
Patrick: ala, 3 gives 226.
John loses 1 for _O, leaving him with 135.
Matthew loses 1 for E, leaving him with 214, qualifying second for the final.
Patrick scores 2, moving to 228, qualifying first for the final.

The final will come soon, after I've posted about recent events, and possibly after this weekend's hike.

It just occurred to me that this is the first post in which I've explicitly referred to myself as Matthew.

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff Smatthey. I won't complain about being in a more-than-two player game since you've acknowledged by dislike for it. My first word is dedicated to Tom B. He is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be what it feels like to be Charlie Sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the next game, Patrick will be replaced by a less cool but more mentally stable internet billionaire with a broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to meeting such a charming kutchelganger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, John is more like you than anyone else I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In that case I want to be more like me than John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that's certainly true.

    ReplyDelete