On Good Friday, I joined a group of about 10 other physics students for lunch with Robert Benjamin. Robert is a physicist by training, who after 30 years at Los Alamos decided to retire in order to pursue play-writing full-time.
We had an interesting conversation, flowing over areas of interest to theatrically-minded MIT students. I'll recount a few things that struck me.
He asked whether people felt that the creativity required in science is similar to that required in creating writing. I believe it is not, but others disagreed with me. I feel that there is a tremendous difference between discovery and invention, and science is about the former, creative writing, the latter. If I am doing science and things are going well, the path ahead seems obvious and my vision of it clear. On the other hand, when at my most creative in writing an operetta libretto (it's been a while since I wrote any other fiction), possibilities are flying all around my brain, and I have to pull the right ones together and lay them out - as if I am constructing the path rather than simply walking along it.
He mentioned that writing plays can be like solving a harmonic oscillator. The subject of that reference (though not necessarily its relevance) will be immediately obvious to a physicist, but for the benefit of others, I might suggest that the harmonic oscillator problem is physics' answer to the major triad in music, the Our Father in christian prayer or the drive in batting (cricket). It's the standard tool of choice, to be applied, perhaps with variations to many situations.
His point was that characters are likely to interact in similar ways even in different contexts, and by understanding how this interaction works, an author can easily construct interactions that might appear very different to someone who hasn't seen their construction from the inside.
One particular similarity I notice between scientific and creative writing is the need to try to look at things from the audience's perspective. When writing scientific papers, it's easy to fall into the trap of acting as if the audience knows everything the author does, which is obviously false. A scientific article should tell a story just as much as a fictional work should, and in both fields it is useful to try to put oneself in the reader's shoes, and understand how he comes to learn what is being conveyed.
I plan to write more about my writing process soon, but at the moment preparation for The Yeomen of the Guard is occupying a large fraction of my leisure time.
What an interesting discussion, Matthew. Your brain has plenty of stimulation at MIT. We have had a lovely Easter/Anzac weekend and Dad has thoroughly enjoyed the National Folk Festival. Put aside half a day to talk to him about it when you are home (soon!). Mum
ReplyDeleteI find it difficult to imagine Dad talking for half a day: even about a folk festival!
ReplyDeleteI look forward to your discussion on the writing process. Just as you look forward to my discussion on the physics process.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous' discussion on the physics process:
ReplyDeleteBy using a combination of tea leaves, heraldry and star patterns that may or may not represent animals, physicists are able to create very general predictions for gullible people, encouraging them to ring 1900 numbers for personal readings. The End.
A physicist who writes seems much more likely than a writer who does physics.
ReplyDeleteBut the writer will be remembered longer.
ReplyDeleteReally? If so, then immediately and without consulting sources, tell me about these authors, the first five winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature:
ReplyDeleteSully Prudhomme
Christian Matthias Theodor Mommsen
Bjørnstjerne Martinus Bjørnson
Frédéric Mistral, José Echegaray y Eizaguirre
Henryk Sienkiewicz
For my part,
Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen discovered x-rays (initially called Rontgen rays)
Hendrik Antoon Lorentz, Pieter Zeeman pioneered the explanation of how charged particles behave in a magnetic field (Lorentz force, Zeeman splitting)
Antoine Henri Becquerel, Pierre Curie, Marie Curie, née Sklodowska began the study of radioactivity (both surnames are units of radiation)
Lord Rayleigh (John William Strutt) did a lot of work in classical and fluid mechanics (Rayleigh instability)
Philipp Eduard Anton von Lenard I don't know, so if you know all five then you have proven your point.
Totally pointless argument. Take the whole list of Nobel Prize winners for both and ask a random group who they know and the writers will win.
ReplyDeleteMy suspicion is that most people have heard of almost none of either. For instance, here is a randomly selected list of 10 of each (from the same years):
ReplyDelete*William Bragg
*Romain Rolland
*Francois Mauriac
*Felix Bloch
*Gabriel Lippmann
*Rudolf Eucken
*Boris Pasternak
*Pavel Cherenkov
*James Cronin
*Czeslaw Milosz
*Ernest Hemingway
*Max Born
*Simon van der Meer
*Jaroslav Seifert
*Frans Sillanpaa
*Ernest Lawrence
*Donald Glaser
*Saint-John Perse
*Giosue Carducci
*Joseph Thomson
I know most of the physicists, at least by name, but I would suggest Hemingway is the only famous person on that list.
I know Pasternak and Hemingway.
ReplyDeleteSo many of the Lit winners are very niche and almost totally unread. Could a physicist win for the equivalent of a couple of German language feminist poems?
No: it's much easier to agree on good physics than on good literature.
ReplyDelete