I guess Easter Sunday began, as it does liturgically, with the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday night. As usual, I sang with the choir. I was again amused by our composition: 1 soprano, 3 tenors, 3 basses (picking seven people at random from a G&S audition pool, one might expect to find 4 sopranos, 1 alto and 2 basses). Perhaps we weren't quite up to the standard of last year (I remember last year's litany of saints being particularly wonderful), but we were good enough to get applause at the end of Mass.
I then enjoyed the Tech Catholic Community Easter party, this year with meat! Joey had complained to me about the absence of meat last year, given that it was the end of Lent.
On Sunday morning, I got up bright and early (to tell the truth, I actually set my alarm later than my traditional time) for Yeomen put-in. To a large extent, once you've seen one put-in, you've seen them all. We loaded the truck, walked over to the student centre while it was driven there, and unloaded it. I joined Team Kelsey to construct the only low platform in our set, before moving onto various other jobs: painting sides of flats brown, affixing lights to the tallest flats, collecting some extra strapping and dexion... There were a few large group moving projects, though I was involved in fewer than the last show or two.
It's nice to work together with the people with whom I've been singing for the last couple of months. There's a great feeling of community within MITGSP, and it makes put-in an actually enjoyable task, though not one I'd want to undertake every weekend.
I left at 5:50, shortly after many others (the cast is dismissed at 5pm; there is a core of people who remain far later), to go to Anna's birthday party. We had dinner at Temple Bar, which is actually closer to the restaurant end of the spectrum, on Massachusetts Avenue past Harvard. I knew only a few of the guests, it being a joint party for Anna and a similar-aged friend, but had an enjoyable evening. The menu wasn't particularly long, which actually suited me quite well because it made it easier to choose. I had pork loin with caramelised apples and mushroom risotto. There were also Brussels sprouts, which weren't advertised on the menu. I found that a surprising, for while I find Brussels sprouts delicious, even my vegetable-loving family thinks I'm a little odd for that. The food was delicious in a conventional way.
The conversation was less conventional (but equally delicious?). I spent quite some time discussing what Occam's razor means in a scientific context, and whether it is at all useful, eventually coming to the conclusion that it is more useful as a way to learn to think than as something to consciously apply.
After dinner I walked back to MIT to do a last little bit of work on the set. Kelsey and I put up a safety rail on the tower, which is now painted like wood (somewhat ironically, seeing as it already looked like wood by definition, since it is made from wood). A few coconut chocolates later, it was time to head home to rest up for a busy prod week.
The people I work with enjoy my singing. Mel once said it was mesmerically bad.
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading about your musical and social evenings, Matt. I am only sorry that Brussels sprouts were not honoured with a label for the post! You veg loving mother
ReplyDelete@Patrick: I would at least half agree.
ReplyDelete@Mum: there you go - my post labels are now more informative than the menu.
#36 on my hate list: Restaurants that add food to a dish that's not included on the menu.
ReplyDeleteAll establishments around here that sell food include the warning "before placing your order, please inform your server if a person in your party has a food allergy". So if I were allergic to Brussels sprouts, I couldn't complain too hard.
ReplyDeleteIs the whole party subject to the food allergy? I would have even more trouble retaining friends.
ReplyDeleteNot necessarily, but they want to be on the safe side.
ReplyDeleteI notice that your veg loving mother has accidentally left off the r in your, accusing you of being a veg loving mother... It's not necessarily the first thing I'd think of calling you... You veg loving bro!
ReplyDeleteYou mean that wasn't just some random person mincing an insult?
ReplyDeleteI guess you must have been too veged out to notice... (was the use of mincing deliberate as a food connotation?)
ReplyDeleteI noticed, but do not make a habit of pointing out typos when the meaning is obvious.
ReplyDelete