Friday, April 1, 2011

Funny things my lecturers have said

Now we have some diagrams that look like sheep but at least do not depend on q.

Say you have a waterbed, and you heat it up slowly, like with a flamethrower.

There are more ways of getting from A to B if you're drunk than if you're sober. So it's more interesting being drunk than sober - if you're an electron.

It can be easily shown, and I will now show easily...

I wish I had a camera (on observing a student who entered class late and went to her preferred seat by walking across the class and crawling under the front table).

Lecturer: there are some papers you should read by Miles and Lou Howard. I can't remember Miles' first name, so I'll just call him X.
Student: I think it's John.
Lecturer: that's right, John. I know him, so he'd be angry if he found out I forgot his name.
Two minutes later
Lecturer: the way John Miles works, or I should say worked, because I think he's dead now...

I'm sure I'll be able to add to these as the semester progresses!

6 comments:

  1. Poor John. I love professor quotes... None of my professors this year have been very quotable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to his Wikipedia page, he died in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An ANU professor once gave us the second 30 minutes of our one hour lecture off because Rangers had won the SPL and he wanted to celebrate at the bar. I joined him at the bar for seven hours of drinking and that directly led to me graduating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lecturer only skipped one set of homework when the Red Sox won the World Series. He had instituted this policy in 2004 and didn't expect to need it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moral for undergrads reading this blog is choose courses with sports-mad lecturers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect that doesn't apply to either of my lecturers at the moment.

    ReplyDelete