Yes, Australia Day was a little while ago now. That's a good thing: it means I've been busy in my evenings.
Katie organised a great party for Australia Day. We gathered on the evening of the 25th, to listen to Triple J's Hottest 100 countdown, share beer and Tim Tams (yes, they are for sale at the MIT supermarket), play mini cricket and just chat. It's funny how quickly one's ear adjusts to accents! For the first few minutes, listening to a bunch of Australians was odd, but that feeling quickly disappeared. It was also nice to be asked where I was from, and be able to give a better answer than Canberra. I was only a little disappointed when someone mentioned he'd been to Cowra, and liked to go surfing there.
I didn't stay particularly late: I was keen to keep my sleep schedule in good shape in preparation for Friday's exam. It was very nice to chat with Australians for the evening, though.
You listened to the Hottest 100? I'm impressed - did you amaze everyone with your vicarious knowledge of music and lists? I was very upset that my favourite song of 2009 only reached #69, though I did vote for numbers 4, 5 and 6.
ReplyDeleteI said we gathered to listen, not that we actually listened. The internet wasn't working properly. I think someone fixed it eventually, but I didn't notice.
ReplyDeleteSorry - how stupid of me not to realise that you didn't actually listen to it. My first magazine arrived in the office today. I feel very good about it.
ReplyDeleteIf it had been on, I would have paid just as little attention. In fact, it may well have been on for almost the whole night: the only time I thought it worthy of attention was when several people were clustered around the computer, trying to make it work.
ReplyDeleteKatie will approve, however, of your feeling that the Hottest 100 is an important part of Australia Day. She told me I don't celebrate the day properly on hearing that I've never listened to it.
Well Katie sounds like a top sheila.
ReplyDeleteI'll pass that on.
ReplyDeleteHappy Groundhog Day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Groundhog Day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Groundhog Day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Groundhog Day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Oscars Nominations day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Groundhog Day.
ReplyDeleteWas that a witty film reference?
ReplyDeleteYes! How's this for a clue:
ReplyDeleteThe fat bakers did it? (6,9)
...rEaL cricket team? (6)
ReplyDeleteTime-covered-out? (9,6)
ReplyDeleteNEEDED DOUGHNUTS?
ReplyDeleteThat's an okay guess, but the real answer is more accurate. Maybe, 'fat bakers' should be in italics in the clue. There's been a very strange development in my ongoing charge for promotion.
ReplyDeleteObviously the second one is ELEVEN, although I don't know what the ellipsis signifies.
ReplyDeleteIt means I can start the clue with a lower case letter, hence distinguising the E and L in the EVEN positions. I like that one - they don't have to be hard to be satisfying.
ReplyDeleteHOURGLASS FIGURE?
ReplyDelete