Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Gondoliers

I haven't been posting much lately, because I've been quite busy.

My main source of busyness has been rehearsals for The Gondoliers, the Gilbert and Sullivan spring show. I am playing the role of Antonio. I mostly sing in the chorus, but before the leads arrive on stage (or in the case of the female leads, are "randomly" selected from the chorus), Fiametta (Betsy, who was Peep-Bo in The Mikado and the plaintiff in Trial by Jury) and I have a bit of solo singing each (and a much smaller amount from four others). Betsy and I are in fact the only students in this production, which is disappointing. I suspect the spring show gets slightly fewer students, and there were just a few little things keeping people busy.

It's interesting having a part of my own. I have certainly noticed myself improve as the rehearsals go on! My solo is not the only time I'm the only one singing my part. The men's chorus has only five or six members (one member leaves at the intermission to take on another role), and sometimes splits into four parts. That leaves me as the only baritone. Actually, I'm a bass, not a baritone, but Antonio is a baritone so I decided I might as well be the one to sing the higher part. At one point, the baritone line goes above the second tenor, and I'm finding it hard to get much volume, particularly since I've just (two beats earlier) been singing well over an octave below. Ah well, things to work on!

We've just finished learning the music, and blocking rehearsals begin on Wednesday. I've played piano for a couple of rehearsals. I enjoy the chance to play piano, but it is hard work! The score is reasonably challenging, so I don't go anywhere near playing every note. I've got better at working out what is the best part to play: it appears that the left hand is best when the chorus is singing, but sometimes the right hand is better when it's soloists. Last week, I even played and sang, because we were running my part. That was very hard work, although I didn't have any problem staying in time, and I could feel the continuity between voice and accompaniment without any problems. I do prefer not to, though! I guess now that blocking is to begin, it would be even more difficult!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It's wonderful to hear of your musical adventures. Tom is preparing for the Cowra eisteddfod which he is competing in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be fun: it's always nice to return home, and I did enjoy the Eisteddfod.

    ReplyDelete