Sunday, August 30, 2009

Orientation begins

On Thursday, orientation began with lunch at the physics department. It turns out that we have a class of 47: not quiet the biggest ever, but perhaps the highest yield ever - 52%, compared with an average around 30%. That suggests to me that MIT wanted 30 students (instead of around 40, like usual: most schools cut back for this year due to the economy), so we're well over par.

On Thursday evening my floor had a dinner. Unfortunately, only seven people came, but it was nice to get to know some of the people from my floor, even though it was only a few. Getting into the grad school spirit, I filled myself up on free pizza and ice cream (actually, I guess I paid for the pizza and ice cream, just not directly).

Yesterday we had a physics department barbecue. There didn't seem to be any purpose other than to eat more free food and get to know other people in the department (first year students were the largest group, but there were many later year students and a few faculty as well), but that's enough of a purpose for us.

In the evening, I took advantage of our floor kitchen TV to watch the New England Patriots beat Washington 27-24 in the third NFL preseason match. I still enjoy American Football, although I won't support New England as fervently as I did the Bears while studying at Berkeley. I'll certainly be cheering them on if they seem to be approaching another Super Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment