Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Meeting my fellow students

On Friday I began a few more tasks to help me become at home here in Cambridge. First I headed to the credit union to pick up my bank card and deposit the reimbursement cheques from my visits in March and April. With money attached to a US Visa card, I now hoped to be able to buy a phone and a computer.

I found that I could buy a phone (including camera and Bluetooth) from T Mobile for $20, and activate it with $100 to get 1000 minutes, lasting one year - this was my best option. I'm still waiting to check that the cheques have arrived safely, because I really don't want my first transaction to overdraw the account.

On the computer side, there were even more choices (I looked at other phone providers, but most were similar to and slightly worse than T). I had a look at the demonstration laptops at the MIT information services building, and decided that I wanted a big screen, because I'm essentially looking to replace the desktop I had in Australia. On the other hand, I don't feel that it's necessary to buy the expensive model they suggest. I looked around and found a reasonable 17" (yes, that's huge for a laptop) for under $US800 ($A1000). Once again, I'll buy it once I'm sure I have money in my account.

On Friday evening I headed out with some other incoming physics students. We met at Central Square, before heading to The Asgard. The Asgard is an Irish pub, although I might follow the rule of thumb that any pub that needs to state that it is Irish isn't Irish enough! We had a good turnout: around 16 first year physics students. We then continued to Green St, more of a cocktail bar. I did try a cocktail - a Kill Divil. It was perhaps a bit too sour, following the establishment's habit of basing everything on citrus juice. It confirmed my idea that I can drink cocktails, but I needn't bother most of the time.

I slept in on Saturday and had a quiet morning. After lunch I met some more (and many of the same) first year students for a study session. I didn't actually find it particularly useful, but it wasn't a waste of time either. We looked at electromagnetism, going over the topics mentioned on the study guide and ending with some questions.

After a little more shopping and dinner, I decided to go for an evening walk. While not far from Sidney Pacific, I happened to meet the same physics crowd, who were trying to go to the Thirsty Ear (a pub located in Ashdown, the grad dorm next to SP). It turned out to be closed, but I joined them at The Asgard, which seems to have become our favourite. It's big, and close, and has beer, so it's a reasonable default. I didn't continue on to Venue in Boston with them, preferring to return to my early-to-bed routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment