Thursday, August 27, 2009

Orientation approaches

My first orientation activity begins at noon today, so before that, an update on some other things I've been up to.

On Tuesday evening I went to a Taize prayer service at the chapel. I was struck by the acoustics of the chapel: even though there were only around half a dozen of us there, the singing sounded quite loud. And there was a lot of singing: I would even say bordering on too much.

After the service I went to Bertucci's pizza restaurant with the other people there, apparently a tradition of the group. Although I had eaten, I joined them for some pizza. It was good for American pizza, but the rolls were wonderful (and, I think, free!). Next time I go to Taize prayer, I'll make sure I haven't had dinner!

Yesterday I tried out my new recipe book for the first time, making Mexican chicken pasta. Unfortunately, I severely underestimated the strength of chipotles in adobo sauce. The recipe asked for one large chipotle, so I bought the smallest tin I could find. The chipotles in it didn't seem large to me, so I went from the information on the side of the tin: it said 7 servings, so I used half the packet, since I was making 4 dinners. It turned out to be extremely hot: not just enough to make my nose sweat (my usual indication of heat), but my forehead and cheeks as well. I still have three serves left to eat!

In the evening, I was once again going for a walk and happened to bump into physics people - everyone seemed to be around the foyer for no particular reason. I chatted to Maksym, who I met at open days in March and April, and Laura, for a while. It will be nice to see the whole incoming class (and finally find out how big it is - I've heard larger than average, but I don't know by how much) today.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe just try one chipolte/new ingredient in future! ;) JJ

    ReplyDelete