Last Monday, I headed to campus to find my office, which is adequate but would rank low (perhaps bottom) on a preference list of the offices I've had during my research career. I then headed north to visit Loyola University to have a chat with Fr Jim, a Jesuit priest there. Loyola is right on the other side of Chicago, so I got to see much of the city by L (= elevated railway, although I was on the red line which is underground through the city).
Back in Hyde Park, I had a chat with Tom, my supervisor, about the project I'll be working on. I didn't yet have a good conception of the overall problem, but he sent me some useful materials to read. I then headed home to cook some dinner, and before I knew it, it was bedtime.
On Tuesday, I went downtown to catch up with Peter and Lucas. We were going to visit the aquarium, but there was an hour long wait outside in the cold (the maximum that day was minus 7 Celsius), so we went to the Fields Museum instead. We had a very interesting time looking at exhibits on ancient Egypt, soil, sea mammals, ancient Americas and jewels. We then headed to the Berghoff to have schnitzel for lunch.
The native Chicagoans then talk me for an architecture appreciation walk (i.e. a session of being chilled by biting winds) along the river. There certainly were some interesting buildings: and a surprising number of people out and about! We ended up at Navy Pier, where I had arranged to see a Shakespeare play with Tom.
Navy Pier has a few restaurants and souvenir shops (as well as an amusement park aimed mostly at younger children), and also a tiny but beautiful stained glass gallery. I liked it better than any one segment of the Fields.
We took a photo at the "free photo" booth: nothing special but a record of a good day together.
I then met Tom to see Pericles. The production was extremely good, and I don't think it's just because I was sitting in a professor (priced) seat instead of a student seat! Usually when I see a show for the first time, I want to be gripped by the story, but this made me enjoy the physical, the sights and the sounds, in a way I frequently don't. There was singing: the choral material was very good and the solo good enough for the context. And dancing and similar choreography, and a general feeling of liveliness and action. I'll make sure I see more of their productions while I'm here.

No comments:
Post a Comment