Last Saturday morning, I went to Treasure Island, my local supermarket. I knew its address from an ad in the paper, but when I went to the specified intersection, it wasn't right there. "If only I had a pirate's map!", I thought. Fortunately, it was just up the road and easy to spot.
After breakfast, I headed out towards campus to get online and find a shop where I could buy kitchen equipment. A couple of minutes' walk towards campus, I stumbled upon Freehling Pot and Pan, so I went in to have a look around. I wasn't really prepared with a list, so after some general browsing I did continue to campus. My searching indicated it was the best choice, so I sat down and made a list and headed back to stock up.
In the afternoon I did some exploring around Hyde Park. As Lisa told me, the odd-numbered streets are the main ones: even and north-south streets are smaller. Hyde Park Boulevard is a substantial residential thoroughfare: the Obama's Chicago house is just off it. 53rd is the main street of Hyde Park, containing restaurants, etc. 55th seems to be the largest street for cars (and the east-west bus route), and has some restaurants as well, especially towards the east. 57th is dominated by the university. 59th is the southern border of the university (well, the main campus: the university is spreading south). It marks the start of Midway Plaisance, a long stretch of green to break up the city blocks.
I then bought some takeaway from Rajun Cajun, an Indian and southern US restaurant, for dinner.
I woke early on Sunday morning, so I went for a long walk north. I passed a couple of small shopping centers (at 47th and 35th Sts, which seem to be substantial shopping streets). I also walked past a mosque: I thought it looked very nice, and was thinking about how I'm glad different religions can contribute to American culture, when I saw the doors at the back labeled "Main entrance" and "Sisters' entrance", which made me sad. I passed McCormick Place, a large convention center, Soldier Field, home to the Chicago Bears, and Daniel Webster Park. For most of the time, my surroundings were very residential: quite affluent at the beginning and end in particular (I was close to the lake).
Eventually I made it to downtown Chicago on my left and Grant Park on my right, and it was time to turn around and head back south. Despite only being a couple of blocks west, the scenery was noticeably different: more commercial, and presumably less expensive residential real estate. There were several educational establishments along my route. I looked out for buses, but none came: I don't know if they are infrequent on Sunday mornings, or I was just outpacing them!
I went to Mass at Calvert House. It was pretty sparsely attended other than family members there to witness a baptism: it felt like a university chapel during winter break!
After lunch and some time catching up on emails (my supervisor recommended the UC hospital lobby as a good place to sit inside with internet access), I met up with my supervisor. He and his wife very generously lent me some kitchen supplies, then he and I went out for dinner at a Thai restaurant (which was fine but my least-preferred of the restaurants I've been to in Chicago). Once again, and early night was in order.
Rajun cajun! :)
ReplyDeleteAn amusing name! I was initially reluctant because I fear restaurants that do two unrelated things, but it has good reviews on Yelp so I decided to check it out.
ReplyDelete