Friday, September 26, 2014

Australian films

Yesterday I went with Anna to see a set of Australian short films, hosted by the American Australian Association (the same organisation that awarded my postdoctoral fellowship). It was great to catch up with Anna and share news (although I had already told her where I'm headed).

On the whole the films were very good: better than last time we went.

The iMom was very clever and very difficult to watch. It set a horror premise very blatantly and early, and never really lived up to it. I think it would have been better had it been subtler (or, perhaps, lived up to what it promised in some way).

Gus was very amusing, if juvenile.

Sleight of Hand was an extremely sweet stop motion film about a man who is making a stop motion film, and eventually realises he is a character in a stop motion film.

Dave's Dead was rather risque (too crude in spots, in my opinion, in ways that didn't add anything), but clever and funny.

Such a pleasant evening!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. There are some good Australian TV programs these days. We have started watching one called 'The Code' which is actually set in Canberra, among other places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there moments people are driving and you know they're travelling the wrong direction to get to where they're going? Though I guess in Canberra all roads lead everywhere as long as you don't mind going around in circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having now finished BoJack Horseman I can't help but think it is the greatest piece of artistic creation in human history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll need to explain it to me. I found it boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK: you'll need to explain the background then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wary were you of the 1980s and 1990s televisual milieu? This explanation may be more complex than your PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember the 1980s. In the 1990s, I enjoyed Play School, Vidiot, Bananaman, Super Ted, Mr Squiggle, Captain Planet, Quantum, The Home Show, Australia's Funniest Home Video Show, The Great Outdoors, Behind the News, Frontline, Good News Week, SeaChange, The Games...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vidiot was a good show. I was raised by American TV shows — that's why I am so handsome — so I get all the clever references overflowing from BoJack's maw; youngsters too focused on Australian current affairs programs during the best decade will be disappointed to learn that Princess Caroline doesn't have Paul McDermott as a client.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess BJHM is the antiSeinfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seinfeld is referenced a bit in BoJack: he starts off as an observational stand up comic before getting his own sitcom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be very suspicious of a show built on 1980s and 1990s television that didn't reference Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete