Recently I've seen two shows: both musical comedies, but very different.
First was the Harvard Medical School second year show. It was good fun, though it was far more specific to Harvard than the ANU med revue to ANU, so I didn't get most of the jokes. I very much enjoyed the characterisation of the students, but I didn't really have much reference for the professors. Ben Smith was suitably scheming as Jules Dienstag, the villain. Jackie Boehme as Olivia was an excellent singer: the standard otherwise was not particularly high. I was impressed by how much Sarrah Shahawy resembled her character, Carly Rae Jepsen: I don't know if this was the work of the hair and makeup team (there isn't even one listed), or just a coincidence of which the creative team decided to take advantage.
I then saw the MIT Gilbert and Sullivan Players' production of The Pirates of Penzance. This was very impressive as always. Ben Morris was characteristically hilarious as the Major General. My favourite scene was his song at the beginning of the Act II finale. The police and pirates all hide, but the police have taken all of the good (less awful) hiding places. Some pirates find room behind plants and chairs, but there's one left hiding behind the book he was reading, and another pirate hiding behind him. The Pirate King and Frederic are left hiding behind their crossed swords, perhaps as if they were armour on display. They decide this is obvious, so after trying to just stay directly behind the Major General, and lifting up two of the police to hide behind them, they try more extreme measures. The Pirate King breaks the fourth wall to go and hide in the audience, while Frederic takes the even more unusual step of breaking the third wall, standing with the orchestra and playing his sword like a violin. It's certainly a lot of fun. On the whole the show is a good, traditional production. Nora Maynard's coloratura seems effortless, though it can be hard to hear her when she's at the top of the (large) set.
Sarrah looks just like herself. I didn't realize she actually resembled Carly!
ReplyDeleteThere's a pretty strong resemblance.
ReplyDeleteWork has been so busy (with the five years at five different sites across town) I haven't kept up with my favourite blogs, so it was nice to stop and read your last three entries this evening, even though I had caught up via Skype last weekend. I am glad that things are going well for you. Yesterday Dad and I posted a little parcel for you and Nancy but we were warned that it wouldn't make it in time for Christmas. I am sorry about that but I hope you enjoy it in those post Christmas days and know you were thought of with love at this special time - hopefully I can tell you that via the net! Much love, Mum
ReplyDeleteThat's quite OK. I planned to buy a game as a Christmas present for the family, but it appears to be sold out from all the Australian online stores I can find. Maybe I'll buy a copy here and bring it when I visit in several months!
ReplyDelete