Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hard at work

I haven't posted for a while, because work has been keeping me very busy.

The first piece of good news is that my paper has been accepted. The reviewers suggested a few improvements, so I made them and now it is set for publication within a few weeks.

With this out of the way, I need to prepare for my first thesis committee meeting on Friday. I have a good idea of my plans for the next few weeks, but I need to be able to say more about my plans for the next year and a half or so, and also read more of the background literature to explain how my work builds upon what is already known.

I've also met with a recent MIT graduate to discuss some of his experimental work that has a lot in common with my theoretical paper. He found some slightly unexpected results regarding the lifetime of cells joined in a pack, and I think we can make sense of them using my model to account for the effect of temperature.

It hasn't been all beer and no skittles: we've had game night each week. The last couple of weeks, we've played the Game of Thrones board game. The first time was very fun (I won). The second, it became too stalemated, and nothing seemed to happen the entire game.

I also enjoyed Matt and Theresa's wedding. It was the first Nuptial Mass I've been to, and it did feel very special. The reception was also fun: plenty of dancing and chatting with friends from church.

No comments:

Post a Comment