Yesterday began with a trip to the art supplies shop, to buy some paper with which a cast member will make some props for the Gilbert and Sullivan scenes night. Being my usual maximising self, and unused to choosing art supplies, I spent quite some time browsing before settling on a large sheet of cream cover paper.
After purchasing it, I continued to MIT for a singthrough of Princess Ida. Garry, who is often involved in our shows as director, technical director and/or producer, organised this event, which brought together people from a substantial era of MITGSP's recent history. I sang the role of Arac, the first of Ida's three "hulking brothers". We had lots of fun singing, and I hope we put this show on some time during my time with MITGSP (I think it is likely).
Several of us then went to the Asgard to enjoy food, drink and conversation. The latter was very wide-ranging, though perhaps not entirely fit to print in this blog!
I walked home through the cold that I am getting well used to (it was probably minus ten or a little above: enough for a scarf around my neck but not around my face). A little later in the evening, Patrick was roasting some vegetables and offered me some. I actually felt a little funny, not sure whether I was hungry or not. I had had breakfast late and missed lunch, so I thought perhaps I should be hungry (I ate food at the Asgard, but less than a normal dinner), but food didn't feel appealing. I decided to have an apple, and chatted with Patrick.
After once again noticing the sugar on the shelf claiming to be carbon free (sugar is actually 40% carbon), we started discussing chemistry, reaching a mention of bullvalene, a rather interesting molecule with only one NMR peak due to the ability of the double bonds to move around so freely. We then moved on to a discussion of why a solid shape made from hexagons and pentagons needs exactly 12 pentagons, no matter how many hexagons are present. I couldn't think of how to prove this (I had an idea, but it was not a proof and turned out not to be part of the easiest proof). Fortunately, in two or three minutes I was able to find the proof in a Wikipedia article. Modern technology is amazing!
By the time the vegetables were ready, I was actually feeling quite hungry, so I enjoyed roast vegetables, peanut sauce and rice with Patrick and Jordan, who came home about that time.
I actually read this one because I saw the word 'Patrick'.
ReplyDeleteYou are not my only friend called Patrick
ReplyDeleteBut I am your most Patrick.
ReplyDeleteoh dear Patrick...
ReplyDeleteGiven that I live with the other Patrick, I'm not sure that I agree.
ReplyDeleteHow Patrick is the other one?
ReplyDeleteMore Patrick than you.
ReplyDeleteI sincerely doubt that.
ReplyDeleteNotre Dame is more Patrick than Riverview.
ReplyDeleteDoubtful: I head ND accepts protestants now.
ReplyDeleteMy dictionary defines pat as "excessively glib; unconvincingly facile".
ReplyDeleteWhen have you ever called me 'Pat'?
ReplyDeleteI said pat, not Pat.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, I forgot you were the last person left also using proper E-nglish.
ReplyDeleteUsing proper English sometimes confuses people here.
ReplyDelete