On Saturday Matt organised a picnic on the shore of Boston Harbor (apologies to Australians for the misspelling, but I feel that proper nouns have a proper spelling, dictated by the locals). The occasion was a parade of lit boats. I should clarify that the boats were lit with lights, not lit on fire!
We gathered at South Station (incidentally, the place I alighted on my first ever arrival in Massachusetts) and headed to Fan Pier. We claimed a couple of picnic tables and unpacked a large assortment of picnic foods: cold meats, bread, chips and salsa, roasted capsicum salad (the last was my contribution: I very much confused the Americans on naming it: Americans have never heard of the word capsicum and find it hard to understand even when I explain it). It was lovely sharing a meal and casually chatting. Matt was the only person there I knew well, although I had met some of the others once or twice. It's always nice to spend a bit of time with fellow students or recent students, especially during these low-stress summer months. I know I spend most of my time with students, but that doesn't diminish the enjoyment!
The boat parade was actually the least interesting part of the evening. The boats all had many strings of colourless lights, but I didn't see any huge appeal. I'm simply grateful for the opportunity the parade provided.
No comments:
Post a Comment