On Friday at midday, I joined around 130 others in 4-237 to watch Obama's speech (there were several other rooms where more people watched it). He made himself popular early on with these comments.
It's always been a dream of mine to visit the most prestigious school in Cambridge, Massachusetts. (Applause.) Hold on a second -- certainly the most prestigious school in this part of Cambridge, Massachusetts. (Laughter.) And I'll probably be here for a while -- I understand a bunch of engineering students put my motorcade on top of Building 10. (Laughter.)
This tells you something about MIT -- everybody hands out periodic tables. (Laughter.) What's up with that?
I found the rest of the speech political rather than energy focused. I got the impression that Obama doesn't necessarily understand a great deal of the science and technology relating to sustainable energy, but he knows what he needs to, and doesn't pretend he knows more than he does. The main thing he talked about was his belief in the American nation's capacity to innovate, and through that creat a sustainable future. I do think that's the only way forward, but I don't really think he said anything new to me.
It's interesting comparing American politics to Australia. We get a little bit of the "Australians are so wonderful" in our political speeches, but those here are thick with such (essentially meaningless) patriotic comments. I think Australia's system is better, because it provides a clearer path for talented people to move into executive office. Clearly Obama is a talented politician, but I suspect presentation is a greater strength than substance (and it's an important strength to have, but not the one I value most), and I think Australia has a better chance of putting capable ministers in the important jobs.
This week I've remembered my rankings (I suspect no-one pays attention to them, but I do).
1 Boise
2 Florida
3 Alabama
4 Iowa
5 Texas Christian
6 Cincinnati
7 Texas
8 S California
9 Oregon
10 Louisiana State
11 Georgia Tech
12 Virginia Tech
13 Pennsylvania State
14 Arizona
15 Pittsburgh
16 Oklahoma State
17 Houston
18 Miami
19 Notre Dame
20 W Virginia
21 Ohio State
22 Wisconsin
23 S Carolina
24 C Michigan
25 Utah
Hi Matt
ReplyDeleteI am certainly paying attention to the rankings.
Unfortunately N Carolina and S Carolina aren't going so well...
Well, here are all of the Carolina teams.
ReplyDelete23 S Carolina
29 Clemson
60 N Carolina
64 Wake Forest
67 E Carolina
74 N Carolina State
81 Duke
There are 120 teams being ranked, and their average ranking is 57, so they're very slightly above average.
With these rankings Matthew; you're turning into me...I have to run, I'm meeting a vampire on the equinox.
ReplyDeletePerhaps, but my rankings are based on evidence and logic.
ReplyDeleteYou can tease all you like, but I'm still doing them, it's what the punters want.
ReplyDeleteNo, the punters want wit: at least, this punter does.
ReplyDeleteI do give out an award for witticism of the year - should that be a countdown as well? Did you read Chinese Democracy? That was one of the most well-received essays I've ever published.
ReplyDeleteSome people like to post unrelated humorous comments all in a row, but your style is one of building up the joke brick by brick, so I don't think it would work. Take your witticism of last year, which required four introductory lines, as well as the background context.
ReplyDeleteI did read Chinese (redacted), although I didn't think it stood out from the rest of your work as unusually brilliant.