We're in the middle of the Triduum now, so I thought I'd post something that has been on my mind during Lent.
It was, as suggested by the title of this post, the idea that Lent should be a joyful season. There is often an impression that, because we give up things which are enjoyable, Lent is a somber time to be endured. But I think that completely misses the point. The focus of Lent should never be on what we give up, but on Who we give things up for.
I considered one of the best analogies we have for the proper relationship with God, which is the relationship of a married couple. Think of a couple who decided to take a weekend to get away from their usual surroundings and routines and just enjoy some time together, free from distractions. When they go to work the next week and a colleague asks how their weekend was, and what they did, how will they respond? Will they say "oh, I didn't get to watch the football game, but I put up with it"? "Oh, I didn't get to go singing karaoke, but I could deal with that"? No (at least not if their relationship is in the healthy state I'm suggesting as the example)! They will talk about how wonderful it was to spend time with their spouse, and share some activity in common. And this doesn't mean that they wouldn't have enjoyed watching that football game or singing karaoke, just that the focus of their time was so much more important that the other things aren't worth mentioning.
And this is what Lent should be like. If we're asked how Lent was, can we truly respond "it was wonderful: I dedicated more time and energy to being with God and following His call for me"? If we can, the steps we took to achieve this don't matter. Whether we turned to prayer and the sacraments more, or fasted from food or an activity to remind us that there is more to life that what we see around us, or perhaps something else, it doesn't matter: what matters is being with God. And this should bring the supremest joy we can experience.
Of course, you might point out that we don't only give up what is enjoyable and allowed during Lent: many people also take it as an opportunity to get rid of sinful habits and to devote a proper degree of concern to those of God's people who particularly need them. Here as well, we should take joy in walking more faithfully with Christ. Even when we need to recognise the harm of our sins and do penance, we should be heartened by God's total mercy.
And I am happy to say that I had a very useful and joyful Lent. At the end of it I have such a strong desire to grasp God tightly and stay close to Him, and hopefully I can manage to do my best to achieve this throughout Easter and beyond. Please pray for me!
Thank you! This has already received more feedback than most of my posts.
ReplyDeleteWhat did you give up for Lent? Only while reading this did I realise that I gave up smoking during Lent last year - and I was only with the Jesuits for six years.
ReplyDeleteTelevision. It meant I knew how bad the HIMYM finale was going to be before I watched it on Easter Sunday. I thought the few episodes before it were good.
ReplyDeleteI was so disappointed by that finale. I agree that the show picked up in the run home but that was absolute garbage. I gave up rugby league for Lent.
ReplyDeleteThe ending made some degree of sense when it was written - although I don't support setting up an entire show on the meeting of a character who dies a few minutes after that meeting - but the writers should have had the judgement to change it seven years later.
ReplyDeleteCouldn't agree more: I also didn't like them breaking up Barney and Robin, and blaming that on Robin's decision to pursue a career. Their love would easily have overcome that.
ReplyDeleteSo much, of the last episode in particular but also to some extent the last season, seemed dictated by the ending. If only the writers had an editor or guide willing to stand up to them.
ReplyDeleteI don't think anyone would have been disappointed with the six of them sitting on Lily's porch enjoying an iced tea as the final scene. Ted met Tracey because he finally got over Robin: that was a strong, positive, life-affirming message.
ReplyDeleteIt felt like the season 5 episode Double Date: no progress in 7 years, and feeling that killing off someone's partner is a suitable way of avoiding guiltiness.
ReplyDelete