Monday, February 17, 2014

Where will I end up?

Subtitle: I really don't know.

I've continued to apply for postdoctoral positions. So far I've had some bad news and some no news, but no good news. Overall, that's left me really not knowing where I'll be in seven months(?) or so, which makes it hard to feel like my PhD program is coming to an end. It's taken a bit of effort, but I've kept working and kept applying.

Currently, I have applications outstanding at:

A) Michigan
B) Chicago
C) Northeastern

in the US, and

A) Paris-Sud

in France. High on my list of places to apply to next are

C) Brandeis
D) Santa Barbara
E) Virginia Tech

in the US, and

B) Edinburgh
C) Oxford
D) ESPCI

in Europe.



4 comments:

  1. Our thoughts are with you at this time of uncertainty. Keep applying and keep positive - you have so much to offer, you just need to discover the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week has brought an awareness of important challenges before me but also important steps towards meeting them.

    I think I am fortunate that I write this blog: while searching to accurately round out my top 10 list (which you might notice this blog post provides), I found a position advertised by a professor I've had lunch with a couple of times (and she remembered me the second time, even though the context was entirely different) and whose work I have liked. I found it looking somewhere I don't usually look, simply because I wanted to get to 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a great hopefulness that by being as open as you can to possibilities, you will find the right place, even if it is a surprise!

      Delete
  3. Now I just need to make sure I don't get too attached to any particular place, because all the positions are likely to be extremely competitive.

    ReplyDelete