I'm a few weeks behind on my blog (for reason 1).
A few weeks ago, I went to the New England Patriots' last regular season game, against the Buffalo Bills. I have become an American football fan since moving to the US - and an NFL team since moving to Massachusetts / the decline of California's college team - so I have been hoping to see a game for a while. I bought a ticket the day they went on sale, unrealistically hoping that if I bought a ticket to the last game, I would have finished postdoc applications and be nice and free!
The overall feeling of the game was wet. Very, very wet. 30 mm of rain fell that day, almost all of it during the game. I knew that it was going to be wet, so I was wearing my raincoat and just expecting to end up soaked. My lower half was soaked (my trousers were so wet that they were almost falling down under the weight of the absorbed water), but the raincoat (and the five layers underneath it - that was perhaps overkill but I wanted to be able to take off layers if some were too wet, and I certainly never felt overheated) kept my torso reasonably dry.
The game itself was very weather-affected. Legarrette Blount rushed very well, so New England didn't need to pass much. The game never really looked in doubt and New England won easily. I did see a Tom Brady punt, which is a rare occurrence.
I'm glad to have been to a game, but really, I'm probably happy to mostly watch them on TV!
TV sounds preferable to those conditions!
ReplyDeleteYes: it's nice to feel the buzz in the stadium, but I'm satisfied with having it as a rare pleasure.
ReplyDelete