Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Parents' visit

During May, Mum and Dad spent two weeks with me in Cambridge/Boston and the northeast.  We did many things, and I welcome questions about them, but I'll try to just mention a highlight or interesting moment from each day.  I noticed Mum writing down some things she heard or saw that she found particularly notable, so I'll include some of those.

Monday 7th, meeting them at the airport: Dad looks like a history professor, when he wears his tweed jacket.

Tuesday 8th, MIT Museum: Mum was very pleased to see how MIT students and faculty are working on some of the world's most important problems.  As Dad said later, it's a relief to see that they aren't being left to politicians.

Wednesday 9th, JFK Museum: "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."  Profound, but somewhat ironic given the museum.

Thursday 10th, walking home from the North End!

Friday 11th, The Grand Duke: it was nice to see a MITGSP G&S show, and especially to see it with Mum and Dad (though I think Dad in particular wished I was in it).

Saturday 12th, Washington DC: we adopted the attitude that we should take opportunities whenever they seemed interesting, and were rewarded with a great view of the city from the Post Office Tower, which we wouldn't necessarily have entered had we not happened to walk past it.

Sunday 13th, Washington DC: apparently there's a much better view of the White House from the north than the south.

Monday 14th, Philadelphia: Mum and Dad loved Reading Terminal Market, a buzzing food court / fresh food market.

Tuesday 15th, Philadelphia: we visited Independence Hall, which I had also visited in 2009.  I was interested by how different the tour was, despite being in exactly the same place.

Wednesday 16th, New York: once again visiting something just because it was there, we saw the very nice Pierpont Morgan Library (it was the closest location of interest on the map, when Dad was visiting Empire State).

Thursday 17th, New York: it was wonderful to walk through the gallery of the UN General Assembly, which was in session.

Friday 18th, back home: apparently I'm able to exhaust even my fit, active parents with the amount I walk!

Saturday 19th, Mt Monadnock: it was a perfect day for hiking, and above the tree lines there's such a nice view over the rolling plains below.

Sunday 20th, Mass at MIT: Mum and Dad were able to meet a few more of my friends, and as always enjoyed to see how at home I feel here.

Monday 21st, MIT: we were able to catch up with Jimmy, the friend I mention most who Mum and Dad hadn't met yet.  I think, like everyone, they were impressed with his enthusiasm and optimism.

Thinking about these, so many other moments have come to mind.  It was such a wonderful two weeks, and I look forward to the next time I have some family to visit.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear about your doings, Matt. :) And sorry to say that I am unlikely to be part of such global family galavanting (in the near future, anyway) - I had been trying unsuccessfully to post a comment but Tom is over tonight and helpfully suggested I try explorer rather than firefox. Here goes.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I look forward to visiting your new place as soon as I can, although it's unlikely to be particularly soon (maybe June 2013?).

    ReplyDelete