On Friday evening I went to 10-250, familiar as the site of the weekly physics colloquium, for MIT's annual Campus Preview Weekend a cappella concert. All of the groups performed: we had
The Techtonics, the combined group
The Logarhythms, the men's group
Syncopasian, the East Asian group
The Ohms, the South Asian group
Techiya, the Jewish group
The Asymptones, the geeky group
Resonance, the cool group
The Cross products, the Christian group
The Toons, the nerdy group
The Muses, the women's group
The Chorallaries, the classy group.
When I realised that the Techtonics consisted of a few members from each of the other groups, I feared that the rest wouldn't live up to the standards set by the best of their members (I don't know if each group chose its best members for the combined group, but that would be an obvious thing to do). My fears were unnecessary: I was impressed by the consistent high quality. I did feel a degree of sameness: the groups chose a wide variety of songs, then turned them into a cappella arrangements which sounded just like each other.
For variety, I went the next evening to Curtains, Next House's annual musical. It was a lot of fun: the students very obviously enjoyed being part of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment