On Sunday, I gathered with some friends to celebrate my birthday. I enjoyed last year's party so much that I aimed for something very similar: mostly the same guests, at the same location with the same plan.
We ended up with six: a pleasant number, and one that made me feel like an electron in a half-filled orbital when we sat down at a table built for twelve. We ordered more food than we could eat and enjoyed a meal and conversation.
After dinner, we walked back to my place to enjoy a birthday cake I had cooked the previous day. It was a pumpkin cake (squash, to an American), though flavoured less by the pumpkin than by the associated spices. I thought it was very enjoyable, and it would appear that Jimmy did also because he ate four pieces (actually, this was the next day when I brought some to his office, since he had to leave after dinner).
We then played a quiz game about Australia that my parents had sent me as a birthday gift. I acted as quizmaster to ensure a more level playing field. The Americans didn't do especially well, but probably similar to what I would have done in an equivalent game about the US before I came here. Bananagrams and Ticket to Ride followed, before it was time for the last of my guests to say farewell and head home.
The evening was most enjoyable, and got me thinking that perhaps I should start my regular Saturday evening fun again.
A birthday of broad games then?
ReplyDeleteAnd we didn't even crack out Guillotine!
ReplyDeleteThat would have headed off the fun...
ReplyDeleteAre you applying for a job as a newspaper sub-editor?
ReplyDeleteWhy would I want a demotion?
ReplyDeleteWho else makes such lame puns?
ReplyDeleteOnly your brother.
ReplyDeleteIt's not just him: I seem to have this influence on many people I hang around.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Matthew! It's Alicia (still remember me?)
ReplyDeleteGood to hear you are continuing to enjoy life in the US. :)
Of course I remember you (and your raisin toast, and George and Martha)! Send me an email to let me know what you've been up to!
ReplyDeleteHi Matthew - I've sent you an email :)
ReplyDeleteAlicia
Which Anonymous wrote 'only your brother'? How do you keep track of us all?
ReplyDelete@Alicia: thanks - it's great to hear what you're up to.
ReplyDelete@Patrick: tanquam ex ungue leonem.
But surely some lions can change their spots?
ReplyDeleteRegardless, I at least have no trouble distinguishing P and NP comments.
ReplyDeleteI will obviously now seek to deceive you.
ReplyDeleteYou will fail.
ReplyDelete