Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September

This semester is shaping up to be filled with activities.

During the first week of classes, MITGSP had our usual round of auditions, for The Sorcerer.  I auditioned on Tuesday evening, singing "Oh Better Far" from The Pirates of Penzance and "Young Man, Despair" from The Mikado.  I think we had a total of 49 people audition, an unusually high turnout, especially for a less popular show.  I was offered, and accepted, the part of the notary.

On the Saturday after auditions I went with John to see "As You Like It", to celebrate his birthday.  I was completely unfamiliar with the show going into it.  I enjoyed the show and thought it represented the text well.  The production was well suited to the outdoor setting.

The following day I went hiking with Mike and Nick.  We followed the Franconia Ridge loop, up Mounts Lincoln and Lafayette.  The walk was pleasantly tiring, the views often good (though we were above the clouds a little of the time).  There were flags on the summits to mark the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

On our way home, we had some car problems, which turned out to be due to an oil leak.  Mike called the equivalent of NRMA, who arranged a tow truck to come.  Unfortunately, they told us that the tow truck could only take two passengers!  We called good friends with cars until we found someone who could come to pick up Nick and me!  A passing police officer took us to a nearby rest area, where we waited and snacked (the good thing about being stranded after a hiking trip is that food and warm clothes are plentiful).

We've now had two weeks of rehearsals (though it seems like longer).  I only have four lines of solo music, plus rather more small and large ensemble material, so I've been called to bits and pieces of rehearsals.  On Monday, for the first time ever, I was specifically not called to a chorus rehearsal: previously my roles have been chorus plus a bit extra: this one is more distinct.

I've also been teaching an undergraduate electromagnetism course.  I am one of two teaching assistants: my responsibilities are writing problem sets and solutions, holding office hours each Thursday, and supervising and marking the weekly test.  It takes up a substantial chunk of time, but that's expected: it is officially my job for the next few months.  I really like teaching: it is very rewarding to see the progress of students, especially when it seems that my assistance in particular is helping.

I'm now finishing up my research on lithium ion batteries, ready to move onto a particular problem in the determination of the internal surface area of concrete.  Though in very different areas, the problems seems to rely on similar physical principles.

On Friday I went with some MITGSP friends to see Porgy and Bess at the American Repertory Theater.  It was a very enjoyable show.  I did feel a few times that the choreography felt unnatural, and often I felt that the show couldn't decide whether it was an opera or a Broadway musical (actually, I think this production tries to turn an opera into a musical - and fails but does a good job of presenting what it has).  The singing was good and the acting convincing, in an abstract but effective set.

Next up: our postponed three-day hike.

3 comments:

  1. As You Like It is Shakespeare's gayest play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's obviously as they liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mum: you should be able to post fine. I don't know what the problem is.

    ReplyDelete