Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Work, family (almost) and song

Since my last post, consisting of very brief updates, achieved more likes than any for a long time (with the exception of my return to Australia), I'm going to strive to imitate it. So, in the last week...

I went to my first prod staff meeting for The Secret Garden, and also talked to Cathy about the tasks involved in house and ticket managing.

I stayed on campus working on research later than I have before (I can't remember the exact time, but I think it was well after 10). This was partly because I thought I was to give a talk at our group meeting the next day - it turns out it is this week instead - and partly because the solution to a problem was staying just out of my reach. I was trying various things with the goal of making my program more automatic and hence faster, but it ended up slower instead so instead I applied one important improvement that being automatic would have provided.

I convinced myself that my method of counteracting the instability of my problem under fixed point iteration was easily fixed using the method I applied. I had thought I was having more problems, but it turns out they were simply because my parameters weren't quite right and my system was running out of lithium.

Over the weekend, Patrick's parents visited. I will be able to ask him for advice when mine visit next year! They took us out to dinner at The Barking Crab, a seafood restaurant on the harbour. I ate lobster, which was good, but only my second best lobster meal ever. They also joined us for Mass on campus, where I played piano again, hopefully for the last time in a little while.

I've been doing some work as producer for The Sorcerer: chasing up potential arrangements for a song for which the original music has been lost, beginning to recruit a production staff...

I've also enjoyed the long evenings: I took a reasonably long (by anyone's standards but mine) walk on Sunday, though on the whole it's been a bit warm to make walking for pleasure a common choice.

19 comments:

  1. But has anyone Google+ed you yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've chosen not to join at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joining was a big mistake. I wish someone would me a Google- invite. BTW, did you catch up with Lord Ferg yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soccer is hardly noticed here: at this time of year, it's baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know they were in Cambridge? Apparently yesterday was one of only two days in the year where there is no pro NFL, baseball, basketball or ice hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still don't know they were in Cambridge.

    Baseball, and to a certain extent basketball and hockey, games take place so frequently no-one really cares about them. There's a lot to be said for college football's 12 game season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well yes your walking adventures are fast becoming stuff of legends...
    Blame facebook/twitter etc for our inability to digest information in any format apart from short update snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They toured Harvard last week. I'm sure Rio Ferdinand was tempted to trade in his millionaire playboy lifestyle for a career in academia. Amusingly, he misspelt library in a Tweet.

    Judging my the large crowds I see at every game broadcast in Australia, some people clearly care about baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @YH: the walk was 4 miles / 6.4 kilometres, which is just long enough for me to notice.

    @Patrick: people care about baseball, they just don't care about particular baseball games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking of caring about sport, I have a +1 to the BlackBerry box at ANZ this weekend for the Qantas Wallabies v the ABSA Springboks. You in?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not even planning to find out whether I can easily watch the game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to be in the box and not watch the game, so why should you bother?

    I bet you a dinner next time we're together the NRL repeat game on Foxtel rates higher than this match does on Channel Nine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cheesecake, or the strudel?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The supreme pizza no mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're welcome to suggest that, but you'll end up with cider in your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My ear is near my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you know what I'm referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My general proclivity towards drinking alcohol? You've done it, Matthew, you've finally found a cultural reference I am ignorant of. BTW, I'm seeing Modest Mouse tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hint: it's from a musical I've seen twice.

    ReplyDelete