Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A funny thing happened on the way to the food court

On Monday afternoon I met John for coffee (in the end we had frozen drinks because it was hot, but that's not relevant to this story). I met him at Lechmere, the station closest to my new home, and we walked to the Cambridgeside Galleria, my local mall. Following the path of least resistance, we entered through Sears and took the escalator up to the second floor. After leaving the store, I was about to get on another escalator going down, when John stopped me by saying "I'm not taking the escalator". I remembered that John doesn't like escalators that go down. We looked for the nearest exit that might lead us downstairs by some other method: it proved to be a very roundabout route but got us back in the front door in a couple of minutes.

As we were walking in, I had John to my right and a wall of some description immediately to my left. I felt a tap on my left shoulder, and turned my head right, thinking it was John being funny. I instead noticed that it was the woman behind me, so I assumed she was in a hurry and stepped right to let her past. She didn't pass, but instead began a conversation. Here is as close to a word-for-word recount as my memory allows.

"Actually, I want to talk to you" (she had noticed that I was stepping aside to let her past).
"OK" (I prepared to tell her I wasn't interested in whatever she was selling and move on).
"You're very attractive."
"Thank you" (very hesitantly, because I was completely taken aback. That's not something anyone has said to me before, let alone felt it necessary to stop me in the mall and tell me).
"Are you from Texas?" (this may seem like a complete non sequitur, but I was wearing a tshirt with 'Don't mess with Texas' written on the front, so it made sense).
"No. I have been there, but a friend gave this to me after he went."
"Where are you from?"
"Australia." (this was starting to feel like a particularly awkward scene from my short film - I wanted to include a link here but Megabus doesn't allow Youtube, presumably because it eats bandwidth).
"What are you doing in Boston?"
"I study here."
"What do you study?"
"Physics."
"Wow: I studied physics at Oxford" (sounding very excited).
"Really?" (with a very sceptical tone: I have read about various scams inflicted on people in foreign countries, where the scammer pretends to have everything in common with their victim, to gain trust before carrying out the scam).
"Can I have your phone number?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Uh, I don't give out my phone number much" (unsaid but implied: to people who ask after 20 seconds conversation after approaching me for no good reason, and are you really surprised?).
"What about your email address?"
"You can have my email address." I then gave her an email address: genuine, but not either of the ones I actually check frequently.
"Which part of Australia are you from?"
"Canberra" (I was hoping that the conversation was winding up, and it was).
"What's you name?"
I told her my name - funny thing: I don't use my name on here, which would seem to imply I trust her more than I trust the readers of this blog!
"I'm Marie. Have a good day."
"You too."

And we walked off in opposite directions (funny, because she had been walking behind me when she tapped me on the shoulder).

I can't give a particularly good description of her (actually, perhaps describing this conversation says as much about her character as one could expect to learn in a minute or so). She was obviously not a native English speaker: John seemed confident with his identification of her as French. I'm not good at guessing ages, but I would think she was something close to mine. She had longish blond hair (which she was wearing down), but obviously not natural blond (I probably wouldn't have noticed, but John pointed it out afterwards as an advantage I had over her). Her skin was quite pale. John suggested that she looked like she was under the influence of something: I did think her eyes looked funny, but just attributed this to wearing too much eye makeup (I've never been a big fan of eye makeup). She was reasonably nicely dressed. If I remember correctly, she was above average height for a woman, but not noticeably tall. I know you'll be interested in how attractive I thought she was, but my mind was too busy working out what was going on to form a good assessment. I'd hazard a description of marginally above average attractiveness among women my age.

I look forward to your assessment of the whole situation. Was it exactly what she said it was: she noticed me and wanted to talk to me, or was there some other (less honest?) motivation? Should I expect an email from her, and what will it say? Please comment!

5 comments:

  1. Dad says (a) this is completely outside his experience, (b) he's glad you were wary of scams and (c) don't hold your breathe waiting for an email. I think she was a creative writing student out exploring the world and characters for her next exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysterious. I think it was a scam, and she won't email you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you're right in guessing that she hasn't emailed me, but if it was a scam, it doesn't appear to have been a very successful one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matthew,
    Hope you're well.
    It seems like a scam...
    Slightly off topic: do you remember when you texted me and I thought it was a scam?
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how everyone thinks I'm not possibly attractive enough for this to be genuine...! ;-)

    And yes, I remember that episode. I have this habit of assuming that anyone whose phone number I have has my phone number, so you would know it was me.

    ReplyDelete