Incidentally, this is my 50th post.
Yesterday was Thanksgiving. This is a holiday where Americans celebrate the joys of gathering with family and eating turkey, by gathering with family and eating turkey (as opposed to Christmas, where they celebrate the birth of Jesus by gathering with family and eating turkey).
I went to three thanksgiving parties. The first was on Saturday, organised by the FOCUS missionaries. They had cooked turkey, and guests brought some food so we ended up with plenty. Most of the foods there were reasonably familiar: turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce, corn, potatoes in some kind of creamy sauce, beans in a different kind of creamy sauce (not sure that I've really had that before, but I've had beans and I've had creamy sauce, and putting the two together is no huge advance). The oddest dish I had was sweet potato with marshmallows. Yes, this was a main course dish. Although I usually don't like sweet things with my savoury main course, I found this enjoyable just be pretending it was a dessert that happened to be on my main course plate.
We had many fun games as well, particularly the 'dating gameshow' game. Three people are assigned a character (either a real or fictional person, eg. James Bond, or some defining characteristic, eg. is slowly turning into a giraffe). A fourth person (who had left the room) has to guess who they are, by asking only questions that would be reasonable on a dating gameshow. I'll give you all a chance to guess my character by recounting the conversation.
Q: Who is your hero?
A: My 'ero eez myzelf (the strange spelling is meant to represent a very bad, but correctly identified, French accent).
Q: What is your favourite artwork?
A: Ze portrait of myzelf (hmm, I was noticing a theme about this time, but I couldn't think of anything else on the spot).
Q: Where is your favourite holiday destination (this question was actually asked of the person before me, but I had a good answer as well so I asked to answer it as well).
A: I like all of Europe, especially Italy and Belgium. My least favourite place eez Rus-sia. I spent a very bad winter there.
That was all: she didn't actually guess, but was heading in the right direction. Post your guesses as comments!
We also had fun chatting and singing.
On Wednesday I went to the Sidney Pacific thanskgiving dinner. This was a nice time to chat with friends (mostly fellow physicists and people from my SPICE group), while enjoying the beginning of the long weekend.
Yesterday some friends from the Catholic community met for dinner. In the end there were only three for dinner and one who came later: we were hoping for more. We spent the afternoon cooking (inactively a reasonable amount of the time) and watching Clue (a very funny movie based on the game known in Australia as Cluedo), followed by eating, drinking (juice!) and having a good time. We continued the Disney theme of TCC gatherings with Hercules, and parted at 11pm having had a great time.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYes, Amanda was correct (I've removed her answer so the rest of you can still guess).
ReplyDeleteI feel I should know this instinctively, what with my brain the size of a planet (Jupiter, by the way), but I can only think of two rough guesses: one fictional, and the other virtually fictional. I tried to call to wish you Happy Thanksgiving. Good to read you had fun. Lots of action with my precarious work situation.
ReplyDeleteNo, neither Anna Karenina nor Anastasia Nikolaevna is correct. Further hints:
ReplyDelete1) I was male (not compulsory, but we started off representing someone of our own gender).
2) I was actually French, not just a French speaker.
True story: I was standing outside Bankstown train station (long story in itself) when it finally hit me...and I assume it was the man, not the pig?
ReplyDeleteExcitement at Fratton Park: referee gave Man Utd a dodgy penalty (0-1), then five minutes later awards Portsmouth an absolutely nothing penalty (1-1). I have $20 on Portsmouth at 15/2.
ReplyDeleteYou wouldn't believe it! Just three minutes later, the ref has waved away a clear handball in the area. Man Utd should have another spot kick - the first legitimate one.
ReplyDeleteA penalty festival, it appears!
ReplyDelete...even moreso. Shortly after the break, Rooney completed his hat trick from the spot after Giggs was brought down. Now, if you had sent Degsy's column this week, I might have been on that...
ReplyDeleteSorry: due to the long weekend, I forgot it was Friday.
ReplyDeleteI have hardly hedged our friendship against it...Chelsea at Arsenal (I've written it that way so as not to confuse you) in just over five hours.
ReplyDeleteThat's inconvenient for you!
ReplyDeleteThe result was just as inconvenient.
ReplyDeleteYou need a device that automatically records the game, then plays it for you if Arsenal wins, but only a quarter of the time if they lose.
ReplyDeleteI'm a big boy - there were no tears, and losses like this make the victories even sweeter. We'll get them before the end of the season. My eyes are screaming...
ReplyDeleteI'm not convinced by the whole "losses like this make the victories even sweeter" cliche.
ReplyDeleteThankfully, my enjoyment of victories is derived from my own enjoyment, and not your lack of it.
ReplyDeleteI do enjoy victories, I just don't find that losses make them any more enjoyable.
ReplyDelete