Monday, June 29, 2009

My blog begins

A few things made me want to start a blog. I still have a facebook page, but for quite some time I've thought it lacked something as a means of communication. On the other hand, emails, which I prefer, can be a bit unreliable, whether because of people who never reply (you know who you are!) or strange circumstances, such as perhaps typos (don't we all hate them!) in email addresses. Anyway, I've found myself giving long updates on my recent (or not all that recent) past, and I thought this would be a better way of doing things.

I don't know exactly what this will become. Obviously it will be a way of keeping in touch with those I don't email as frequently as my immediate family, once I move to Cambridge MA (less than two months now). I really hope that you use it as well, to keep in touch with me: it will certainly inspire me to write more.

I'm going to assume that the only people reading this are those who already know me, so I'll limit my introduction to identifying myself as an Australian National University graduate of 2008, beginning a PhD in physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2009. If you want more than that, read the posts that appear over the coming days/weeks/months...

There is one exception to that: the name Smatthey. I won't go into the details of its creation (ask me in person); suffice to say it's a nickname from my days at Fenner Hall, and it's stuck quite well among that crowd. I like it, and any of my friends are willing to use it, as long as they're aware that doing so makes them liable to have anything silly they say written on the walls of the South 4 kitchenette at Fenner.

I hope to be back soon, to update you on what has been a relatively busy month, at least for a physics MPhil student.

No comments:

Post a Comment